Hilarious examples of brand names gone wrong aka brand blunder

There’s also Turkish appliance manufacturer, Arçelik, whose parent company is Koç Holding.

4 Likes

At least these guys played with the individual letters to detract from the obvious spelling
cas90-w

10 Likes
  1. Yes, we do know what a nova is.
  2. Doesn’t matter what you call it, we’ll mangle it into something funny.
5 Likes

12 Likes

To be fair, that was no blunder; Ayds was around before AIDS was decided upon as the name of syndrome (if I recall correctly).

7 Likes

I have no plans to try ANY of the products by this company. Soylent Drink Mint Chocolate | Chocolate Protein Shake - Soylent
They can’t fool me!

5 Likes

I have a very soft spot for Pocari Sweat. We got hideously sunburned on Bali and the hotel staff brought us Pocari Sweat, bananas, and yogurt every few hours. We were a lot better in just a day or so.

1 Like

And their stiff competitors…
pnm

9 Likes

Is it maybe made in the Wankdorf in Switzerland? (I’d give you a link, but I get kicked out of this crummy hotel wifi every time I search for it!

4 Likes

c939fd3d9996cf0f02e66fbfafa28900f9cc8dcd_2_500x500

(H/T to @milliefink )

11 Likes

I don’t think there is anything I can add to this…

9 Likes

Not even “take this job and…”

7 Likes

Back in the dark ages, when “random-access” was considered a bleeding-edge database feature, there was an application for the TRS-80 named “AIDS-III” … they rebranded in '85 or '86.

Of course, in my ailing ancient recollections, I conflated this with a IBM PC database program called “The Last One” that promised somewhat ominously to be “the last program you’ll ever need to buy.”

They were separate products, though, as a trip down search-engine memory lane has proven.

2 Likes

And so is a cream collon…

But at least the name “pocari sweat” makes some kind of sense considering that it’s kind of a Japanese gatorade/electrolyte drink for when you exercise/sweat.

3 Likes

I think that depends on the language. When “sweat” is listed first (as in sweatpants, sweatband, or sweatshirt), the product tends to be for when you exercise. When “sweat” is listed second, it could be interpreted as coming from the word that precedes it (like goat milk, devil/demon spit, cat piss, etc.). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

That reminds me:

2 Likes

Did you ingest them, or did you put them on your skin?

5 Likes

We definitely ate them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Egads, I’ve been debunked!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.