Hillary Clinton accepts Democratic party nomination for president

Well said. I believe she is, by a huge margin, the candidate most likely to support good policy. I couldn’t care less WHY she supports said policy.

9 Likes

In what alternate reality is 2016 America a place and time where being a liberal progressive is politically expedient, and how do I get there from here?

6 Likes

Sorry but she’ll govern as a center-right neoliberal candidate who goes easy on banks and big business. Sorry.

But, hey, I expect we’ll be on a war footing by February, 2017, regardless of who wins!

7 Likes

Well, as one example, most Americans now support gay marriage. When I was a kid I don’t think any mainstream politicians were even willing to CONSIDER the idea.

8 Likes

It isn’t because they wanted to. Look at the rather tepid support for gay marriage until bottom up organizations and citizens basically forced it on them.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s trippy; to say the least.

Join the club, but I’ll take what I can get for now.

18 Likes

Exactly my point. Clinton is a candidate who will support progressive policy as long as the public keeps the pressure on her. That’s a hell of a lot more than can be said for her opponent.

11 Likes

So we aren’t going to drone strike people anymore, creating terrorists, and we won’t invade Syria or some other middle eastern country? Ok.

I want leaders who actually lead. We used to occasionally have progressives with values that led from the front of the parade, not the rear.

7 Likes

At least it could be forced on them.

Obama’s been a disappointment, yes. And Clinton is basically selling herself as an Obama third term but slightly to his left. I expect she’ll be slightly to his right.

But if we elect a progressive Congress, she’ll be broadly progressive. She’ll go along with what 50.1% of the country wants, because that’s what she does.

Yeah, she won’t do much (if anything) to rein in the 1%, and she’ll be a bit warmongery and will spy on citizens. Just like Obama.

11 Likes

Earlier today a trans woman, Sarah McBride, gave a speech at the DNC. That would have been unthinkable even four years ago.

14 Likes

That’s where the grassroots organizations need to come in. We won’t stop doing those things until most Americans are convinced they are counterproductive.

And in the absence of such leaders the best option is a President who can at least be persuaded to do the right thing.

7 Likes

My perma senator is the locus of evil and black hole, Darth Feinstein. Nothing but death will dislodge her, assuming she doesn’t become a lich lord. We have to wait her out. The Dems refuse to field anyone against her and never will.

4 Likes

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The 2012 Democratic National Convention proved to be reflective of the country’s “melting pot” moniker in multiple ways. The number of LGBT delegates is historic and record-breaking: 486 in total from every state in the country and a dramatic upswing from the 288 on board for the convention in ’08.
( Transgender Delegation Makes DNC Especially Historic )

Hillary Clinton didn’t refrain from supporting same-sex marriage for political reasons—before last year, she earnestly believed that marriage equality should be denied to gays and lesbians. That’s the story the 66-year-old Democrat settled on when NPR host Terry Gross pressed her on her views.
( Hillary Clinton's Gay-Marriage Problem - The Atlantic )

1 Like

Baby steps forward are better than no steps at all.

And in the case of the opposition, it’s way better than great giant leaps backward, ass over elbows.

12 Likes

13 Likes

Ima gonna save that one.

2 Likes

Earlier today a trans woman, Sarah McBride, gave a speech at the DNC. That would have been unthinkable even four years ago.

9 Likes

I was hoping to hear Ted Cruz not endorsing Clinton.

3 Likes

Just to restate a little more clearly: It wasn’t unthinkable four years ago; there were hundreds of transgendered delegates in attendance at the DNC four years ago. And how do you know someone who simply wasn’t “out” as transgendered hasn’t already spoken in past years?

3 Likes

Dems gotta keep them LGBT votes.

1 Like