Hollywood loves pairing Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, and Scarlett Johansson with older men

It’s an incredibly weird assumption that your personal fantasies are shared by a large percentage of the entire population. If you’re speaking only of yourself as you’re implying in reply to ChickieD, then be honest enough to state that clearly and not apply your thoughts to “most” people.

1 Like

I hope this isn’t what you were thinking I was implying! The folks I know date ALL THE TIME. No real relationships, just dating. And because others (not you) think I’m talking to them, I’m going to say again ‘folks I know’. A lot of sex…very little intimacy. And from what I knew in LA, entertainment is very similar across the board. I’d be happy with ratios that were the opposite at this point…

No, I understood what you were saying. It’s just that I realized that there is a small group of people who work in a profession that influences a broad spectrum of people. I hung out people from Beverly Hills and got a window into that Hollywood lifestyle.

Fair enough, but I’ve always noticed the casting in the same regard as the OP. And with regard to your thought about movies resonating, would you allow that this topic appears to resonate with a large number of people?

That’s about the age I was when I decided to settle down. Not that I was living a wild-ass playboy lifestyle up till then, though, much as I may have wanted to. But my last girlfriend was about eight or nine years younger than I was, and though we had great chemistry and had a whole lot of fun together, we simply were at different stages in life. There were several differences that might have been dealbreakers to others (she was brought up a conservative Lutheran, I’m a godless heathen lefty, she likes to drink, I’m a teetotaller, etc.) but those weren’t really the issue. We loved each other deeply, and had a fabulous time in the sack, but I was ready to start a family and she was not. Once we realized that the long-term prospects for the relationship were doomed, we kept dating each other for the sheer fun of it, but started looking elsewhere for long-term prospects. And after a few months, we both found those prospects. We had a lovely last night spent together, then went our separate ways when we met our new mates. Within eight months I was engaged, and shortly thereafter so was she. A year later my wife and I had our first baby on the way, but I imagine my old girlfriend may not have started having kids yet… don’t know because we lost touch ( I suspect her husband somewhat resents the fact that I “took her virginity.” He’s the kind of guy who would be bothered by that.). Last I heard she and her husband were still childless and having fun traveling, and by that time my wife and I had a three-year-old and an infant (they’re eight and five-and-a-half now).

Anyway, whatever fetish I once had for women who are substantially younger than I am evaporated away around the time I got married. (My wife is 2 years younger.) I realized that I was much more interested in women who happen to be interested in me, for some reason. And it’s been a decade (at least) since a woman in her twenties was interested in me sexually or romantically. So that’s worked out okay.

3 Likes

Murray and Johannsen’s relationship in Lost In Translation wasn’t exactly a romantic one. Correct me if I’m misremembering: They don’t sleep together, they don’t even kiss until the last scene, never to see each other again. If you visited a foreign country alone and had the identical relationship, based on which you proceeded to call yourself her “love interest,” it would be considered delusional.

Not that that invalidates the author’s point of course.

1 Like

And in Her, her character is a newborn infant.

1 Like

When I was 17, I dated a man who was 28.

Most people assume this was an icky situation, but whenever I look back on it, I see only a very nice time with a person who loved and cared about me. It certainly wasn’t a fetish thing. He was respectful of me and I think more about the casual good times we had together at swimming holes, or hanging out watching music videos, than I do about the sexual part - which was there, but not the focus of the relationship.

I came out of it a lot stronger, more sure of myself as someone attractive and desireable. I learned what it was like to be with someone I could depend upon and what it felt like to be in a relationship that wasn’t filled with high school drama.

He was ready to get married and we discussed it. I liked being the star of his wedding fantasies and didn’t discourage it. We planned our house together, and he talked about sending me off to work each day for my office job, wearing a white suit, while he headed to his job leading up a landscaping crew.

Yeah, I’m super fair skinned. I never wear white. But I loved the image he had of me.

He was clearly ready to be married, but had not realized yet that a 17 year old was not, no matter how mature I seemed to be. I hope after he got over the hurt of the breakup he started dating some older women who were ready to settle down.

2 Likes

@Milliefink I actually think the same standard is being applied. Our culture tends to view younger females as more attractive than older females, where as older men are considered more attractive than younger men. This is not a hard and fast rule by any means…but age is considered more desirable in males than in females. Rightly or wrongly so.

Again, I personally find older women far more attractive, but I can only speak for me…plus my attraction is around a good conversation and mutual interests…not simply how someone’s shape or body look.

You seriously don’t see a pernicious double standard in what you just wrote?

2 Likes

Age is considered more desirable in males BY OTHER MALES, which is then assumed to be the natural preference of women as well.

It’s true that women who have been raised to believe their best career option is to find a well-situated man to provide them with an expensive lifestyle in exchange for sex and producing children will put aside their preference for men their own age to look instead for men who are better established in life, but it doesn’t mean those older men are preferred for anything other than how much money they’re willing to spend.

You don’t really think a 20-year-old college student thinks a middle-aged man is better looking than the other students on campus, do you? He can definitely take her to a better restaurant, though.

1 Like

I agree with you, but… well, there is the whole “dad” thing. That is a thing. I do think older men have a cachet with a not-insignificant percentage of young women.

Older is relative though. Could be high school vs. college, not necessarily 25 vs 50.

But she’s mature for her age.

/creepy

Well maybe not at first, but she sure grew up quickly!

Although Joaquin Phoenix was actually playing against Samantha Morton. Johannson replaced her in post-production.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.