Holodeck Program interface spotted in LA city park

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/19/holodeck-program-interface-spo.html

12 Likes

Nit pick: It’s hilarious, but the official LCARS font is Swiss911 ultra-compressed. (Mind you, I don’t use it either. I tried downloading one, but the positioning was off.)

11 Likes

It begs the question…who thought that recreating COVID Times was a fun idea?!

5 Likes

omfg what is the POINT of the holodeck safety protocols if they keep being overridden or fail? Computer, END PROGRAM!

22 Likes

Any moment, we’ll all fade away, leaving Riker discussing his promotion to captain of the USS Titan.

4 Likes

Oh crap, this explains the last three-plus years.

COMPUTER, END SIMULATION!!

17 Likes

Unfortunately, I think it’s more a case of being trapped in a horrible alternate universe. The only Riker we’re going to get is this one:

23 Likes

Never holodeck while tripping red pills, because there’s always more rabbit hole.

matrix-star-trek-custom-captain_1_30703f1b2755bcfbd79b90200a16e909

15 Likes

Maybe they got bored with the simulation of a late-20th Century bar in Boston.

36 Likes

I think I will flick it forward to 2022.

5 Likes

The world can use more of this kind of thing.

6 Likes

A Ferengi software virus in the simulation would explain a lot.

9 Likes

ds9-quark-faint

Why would they do that? Then they couldn’t profit from renting out the holosuit… far more likely it’s the Cardassians… or Kardashians…

11 Likes

Could this all just be a simulation? Let me think about that for just a minuet.
minuet star trek

11 Likes

Is it positively awful that I wish that there were an IRL version of transporter controls like this, and some sad-sack adrift loner just stumbled across them, resulting in a distressingly compelling adaptation of https://chiefobrienatwork.com/?

It’s not fun, it’s training. “Lieutenant, we’re preparing an away team to a planet which has been under quarantine for about one year, Earth time. Go join the group on Holodeck 9 to practice proper social distancing and hygiene in a lower-tech culture; training should take about one week.”

2 Likes

The account appears to no longer be there because that’s a screenshot from Facebook. The creator is tweeting from this account:

Now, if you’ll excuse me. Computer; arch.

9 Likes

Onscreen font for animated LCARS in Macromedia Director to be composited later (they didn’t have onsite playback in TNG because of flickering) used Swiss but I believe the actual panels were cut by hand, possibly letraset so would have been one of the Helveticas. I think they harmonized them in later series’

5 Likes

Yeah, and we don’t get this Riker for very long. Sorry “clawing for survival Riker”, you were destroyed to progress a plot point.

2 Likes

Computer - Arch!

2 Likes