Holodeck-style VR "taking shape"

They did mention it in a book I had that I poured over when I was a kid. :slight_smile: It would indeed split the simulation and present a hologram that transformed the other person to the right perspective for each individual, making it appear the room was bigger. I think they may have had moving floor tiles that would slowly bring you back to center (with inertial dampener tricks so you wouldn’t notice).

They were kind of inconsistent about that sort of thing on the show. For example, in the first appearance of the holodeck Data showed Riker where the wall was by hurling a holographic rock against it. It seems like the rock should have just been absorbed into the wall itself to maintain the illusion.

Also, shouldn’t the whole illusion have been wasted on Geordi, who didn’t even perceive the same parts of the electromagnetic spectrum as everyone else?

Probably the same one I had. The Star Trek TNG Technical Manual. Which seems to still be in print somehow.

I just checked. It talks about omnidirectional holographic diodes acting like a fly’s eye in reverse. And that they emit interference patterns that converge “at the lens of the eye or other visual receptor.” So according to the technical manual, they were doing eye tracking and projecting images directly into them at the right perspective.

There’s a diagram with the caption “Substrate forcefield creates ‘treadmill’ effect, permitting participant to remain stationary while the simulated environment ‘scrolls’ by, within the limits of the simulation program”

If it can deal with whatever weird alien vision systems come into it, it must be able to deal with Geordi’s hairband…I mean visor.

1 Like

Well, it’s better than, “…and he’s moving onto third base as we speak”.

AWESOME! Yes, I read that book cover-to-cover several times in Jr. High. They really put a lot of thought into plausible canon explanations. I loved it. Thanks for confirming! :smile:

If there was a way to tip you dogecoins here, I’d do it in an instant!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.