Home Goods has a lot of dog beds, like, a lot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/06/home-goods-has-a-lot-of-dog-beds-like-a-lot.html

2 Likes

The TJX stores seem to have thrived on the concept of “We don’t tidy up our stores, and we pass the savings on to you”. Possibly at odds with COVID restrictions. I’m sure they’ve managed to comply somehow, butr it may have been hard.

(Check the “best by” dates on any coffee you may find at these stores.)

7 Likes

I mean, I get it.

Picture frames? Candles? Yes.

I strongly associated that vibe with dog owners. Throw in some “art” that’s just vaguely inspirational words on the wall.

1 Like

Profit margins on dog beds must be huge.

6 Likes

So basically you are saying that the most logical place to buy a dog bed PetSmart, is not where to buy one.

1 Like

I have had Saint Bernards, and they prefer the cold wet shower floor or the garage floor, despite having a nice bed available. In the winter time, they are comfortable on a sheet of ice.

7 Likes

I’ll assume that, like most of the merchadise in the TJX stores, they are items that another store couldn’t sell and it winds up in TJX*. E.g. a button-up shirt with epaulets that no one considered buying for $75 $50 $19.99 $9.99, but they might for $5.99.

*What I hadn’t noticed before, but did the last time I was in one, is that even store-branded merchandise from other stores winds up there, e.g. a rack of t-shirts from Justice, with the “Justice” logo right across the front, that (presumably) Justice couldn’t sell.

If this is generally true of dogs then it might actually be difficult to sell (a lot of) dog beds. Not enough buyers for dog beds and they were sold en masse to TJX stores.

4 Likes

Well if they don’t sell by next week they’ll get re-branded as toddler nap-time artisanal beds, now when your toddler wakes up they’ll be fresh as a daisy and smell like cedar chips!

2 Likes

does coffee really ever go bad? I think not, because even bad coffee is better than no coffee.

1 Like

Coffee that’s been freshly roaasted has a special quality that doesn’t really last. After that, the process of acquiring staleness moves at a more leisurely pace.

4 Likes

We tried a dog bed at first. Our dog, for whatever doggie reasons, primarily had rough sex with it. To the delight/horror of our kids and guests.

He has no such interest in any other stuffed or padded things, thank god, but that dog bed was something else.

5 Likes

I’ve seen some of his videos but had missed this one, Thank you!.

and to your point I could argue that practically any store bought ground coffee is likely already stale…

2 Likes

My dogs just sleep on the couch or a chair or the floor or a pile of clothes or the bed if they can fit or whatever they fancy in the moment. They’re not picky. When they’ve had beds they don’t really use them. :woman_shrugging:t2:

It’s a nice gesture and all, but I think it’s also like a personification thing?? Like how they’ll advertise dog foods with certain flavors like the dog gives a shit, but really it just appeals to human palates?

2 Likes

Why?

Because “nothings too good for my poochie pie.”

1 Like

My two takeaways from a trip to Home Goods were:

1. Costco is a better value
  2. There’s an entire aisle of pink unicorns.
5 Likes

I’ve bought a dog bed for my parents’ dog in a mill. That is an actual mill, with a generator used to make electricity from a near canal. They sell what of course, but also food for animals and accessories. For me the most logical places where to buy a dog bed is where corn is arriving on 18-wheelers

3 Likes

Our pit mix must have had some St. Bernard:

4 Likes

Also weirdly cast iron pans.

The one near me has everything from more known brands (for a bit cheaper than other places). To definitely not name brand (but still massing about the same) pans. I got a decently large and thick pan with an absolutely shitty surface for ~$10. Took it home and used a flap sander to grind the surface nice and smooth and even, and then re-seasoned it. It’s now my second favorite (to a hand me down Copco large skillet).

1 Like

As a Greyhound owner, there is no such thing as too many beds.

1 Like

What are these? Beds for Dogs?!