Save your money - don't buy a cat bed

Originally published at: Save your money – don't buy a cat bed | Boing Boing

11 Likes

unless your cat tends to eat cardboard?

10 Likes

Rebuttal:

26 Likes

Or, a lot of toys, save for some catnip ones. Around our house the pulls from a milk/juice carton provide plenty of entertainment value for zero cost.

9 Likes

Mine like boxes. They also really like cat beds. I can’t get the old man out of the heated one during the winter.

Unfortunately one of ours eats those :pensive:

22 Likes

Yup, all the lovely cat beds we bought were snubbed. Best cat bed: pile of crumpled butcher paper in a pile on the floor under an old sheet. Kitty cavern!

14 Likes

This was the Heathkit color TV set that my brothers and I built as kids 50 years ago. I had no desire to watch it, but didn’t want to say goodbye to it either.
Asimov likes it.

43 Likes

There’s nothing like a cat to be contrary about everything, including being contrary. As I’m reading this there are gentle snuffles from under my desk.

26 Likes

If I want to work, a bed has to be on the table. Preferably two, as one gets a bit crowded

23 Likes

33 Likes

Oooh, I love this show!

15 Likes

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

12 Likes

I believe that is the term one uses the second time a cat comes near your face.

17 Likes

Love this.

8 Likes

a) All cats are different. My cat shows zero interest in cardboard boxes or similar things.
b) Cat toys, beds, etc. are in my experience dirt cheap. Well worth the minor expense if that’s what your cat wants or needs.
c) Giving seemingly general advice that advocates for saving a buck at the potential cost of the happiness and well-being of an animal under your care, with zero nuance or discussion of this, is … well, rather shitty at best.

This might be true for your cat. It might even be true for most cats. It is not true for all cats. So maybe tone down the hyperbole just a tad? “Works for me” =/= “Works in all cases”

1 Like

But if you don’t order bed-sized objects, then where are we going to get the cardboard boxes from?

5 Likes

Pop Tart would have that box reduced to shreds in an hour. His favorite place to sleep is where ever I want to sit down.

4 Likes

This thread turned into “everyone post pictures of their cats sleeping” and I am here for it. Notifications on.

17 Likes

I have never bought a cat bed, but for some reason, I have several of them. In the closet. I bring home a box from Aldi about once a week, give it to Marshmallow, who adores boxes the most. Then Apollo chews on it for a while, then Tommy pees in it, then I bring home another box and toss the old one.

6 Likes

Young Topaz likes the couch (as here)

but V rarely joins us in bed. He likes boxes, but only for being silly in. He prefers sleeping on the floor, ostensibly guarding the doorway of whichever room we’re occupying, and I’ve only seen him in a pet bed once or twice. All that may change when winter comes.

Twitch, our old man, always loves the pet beds we’ve given him and is usually in one of them.
Wouix
Here he was out on the porch, enjoying the morning and my BF’s company, before his FIV+ diagnosis.

12 Likes