Why do cats love hiding in cardboard boxes so much?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/23/why-do-cats-love-hiding-in-cardboard-boxes-so-much.html

12 Likes

Our murderbeast prefers shopping bags.

33 Likes

Currently, my cats have been waging the War of the Soda Pop Can Tray, so I bought another 32-pack, so they’d each have one. Now it’s evolved into the War of the Slightly Newer, and Therefore Better Soda Pop Can Tray.
I wish they would just go back to boxes.

23 Likes

Shopping bags are excellent for the element of surprise!

17 Likes
20 Likes

Giant Kitten may soon require one of these! He loves hidey holes, but is quickly exceeding the standard size capacity of most cat equipment.

15 Likes

My kids are the same way with cardboard boxes.

11 Likes

I think I have pics of our pair in our Ikea tent settings setup (two tents and two tunnels) in the Pets and Animals thread… They definitely spend more time playing with them than the Ratel kit.

Ah, here’s one:

9 Likes

It’s not just domestic cats that love boxes.

28 Likes

But why? Dammit.

10 Likes

Awww… your murderbeast looks exactly like my fraidy-muffin.

12 Likes

They probably like the texture and smell of cardboard. Mine licks the boxes sometimes. She also prefers paper bags from Chinese food takeout orders. :takeout_box::smile_cat:

10 Likes

Most cats consider utter nonsense sacred thus their idiotic behavior is a manifestation of their of their religious practice. Thats what my cat buddy Andy claims and he lies less than most Politian’s

4 Likes

yup

17 Likes

Little Cat. Big Cat. Cardboard Box.

10 Likes

Could it be that they’ve evolved as ambush hunters and a box seems like an ideal hiding spot to leap out from?

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of that variety of cat before - a Politian, you say? And they’re all mostly liars but yours less so. Interesting! :wink:

2 Likes

Also, domestic cats are descended from wildcats, who were used to not being the top predator in their environment, so it might be to hide from possible predators/rivals. (This is probably why cats bury their shit, so they can’t be tracked as easily).
Certainly our cat has worked out all the places she can go but the dog can’t. Even thought the dog is so scared, the cat can just sit on the stairs and the dog can do nothing but whine.

9 Likes

Really! I clicked through expecting to find the answer.

3 Likes

Came for big cats/big boxes.

Leaving satisfied.

5 Likes