Homeless Florida man lived in sports stadium luxury suite for two weeks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/13/homeless-florida-man-lived-in.html

5 Likes

Imagine how many people we could get off the street and into social-distancing-ready shelter if every major city just paid stadiums to rent out their unused suites for this purpose.

41 Likes

What’s resisting without violence? I thought in the mind of the police that all resistance was violent?

22 Likes

It means the homeless guy is White.

74 Likes

Jailed for resisting without violence sounds like
“we threw him in jail because we can, so fuck you”

Fuck the police, and fuck the idea of criminalizing homelessness

23 Likes

Homelessing like a boss.

21 Likes

Especially because they are mostly paid for by the citizens. Sports stadiums, like the Olympics, are a horrible municipal scam 95% of the time.

33 Likes

Maybe he had passed out on the floor or something.

13 Likes

Except we all want to know if he still had to pay 18$ for a 4 oz draft of bud light from the concession stands while he was there

11 Likes

If passing out counts as resisting arrest, everyone who has ever fallen asleep can be arrested. So, yeah, their reasoning is utter bullshit

I can actually see Florida cops graduating to that nonsense- “quick! cuff him! he’s tired and falling asleep outside a house! he’s resisting us! arrest him!”

6 Likes

And he was probably by far, the best human to ever occupy one of those luxury suites.

23 Likes

Or if we just stopped using public subsidies to build them in the first place, and spent the money on something more useful.

20 Likes

If all the empty luxury money laundry-condos in NYC were #occupied, I bet it would make a significant dent in their homeless population.

13 Likes

Now you get it!

11 Likes

And once they finally have all the Brown & Black people incarcerated, guess who’s next?

14 Likes

There is so much empty space that goes unused in this fucked up country it’s absolutely ridiculous. Massive buildings just sit there, looking fucking stupid. But tent cities or similar encampments? OH HELL NO! We’ll never stand for that! Makes me fucking sick.

11 Likes

Good on ya, dude. Waste is a sin.

5 Likes

It means whatever the police say it means.

3 Likes

While we’re at it, maybe we can require all of the enormous unoccupied/unused megachurches into shelters as well. I mean they’re not taxed as the profitable businesses that they really are, so …

16 Likes

The beauty of using the luxury suites at sports stadiums is that you don’t end up packing a bunch of people into the same room. Putting a bunch of homeless people inside a megachurch would be dangerous for the same reason that actually holding services in a megachurch would be dangerous.

13 Likes