Honest ad for The USPS

Perhaps they used footage of the imitation US flags at Disneyworld? They have the wrong number of stars and/or stripes so they dont have to be taken down at night.

3 Likes

They’ve started doing that, but knowing who to ask is harder and taking time to do. Most central sorting facilities have a large restricted area that includes employee parking. Unlike the political appointees, most journalists don’t have the phone numbers of postal clerks in their rolodex.

They are still in the denial phase. Once they have more clear signals, that may change.

They don’t need to target democratic areas as closely with the mail sorting machines. More Republicans will be comfortable voting in person during Covid and system wide delays will fall heaviest on places with a lot more people, like Democratic cities.

1 Like

Right, they’re generally trying to simply make voting by mail to not be feasible at all, knowing that Republicans are more likely to vote in person. That the removal of mailboxes is apparently highly targeted made me wonder if the same was true of the sorting machines, but it’s just a superfluous layer on top of already trying to make the whole postal system broken enough it can’t handle mail voting & to make it too expensive for states to engage in to begin with.

Targeting the sorting machines is harder, but if my personal theory is right, they are on track to use the backlash as part of the strategy. My personal theory (only general news stories and conversations with ground level carriers as basis, no secret knowledge) is that the machines removed serve a large area. Once the pressure gets high enough, they can restore the machines. That will create a rush of mail that will shift the backlog down to the local level. Smaller suburban and rural stations will be able to clear their backlog quickly because it just won’t be as large. Larger urban stations will take longer, particularly with the no overtime rules. That is enough to swing a few points, while keeping the turnout high enough to provide plausible deniability. For example the Pontiac, Michigan facility serves both very Republican northwest Ohio and very Democratic Toledo and Detroit. The machines they removed there are enough to probably lock two swing states.

3 Likes

Tell ya what though, the union hall is essentially a pub. Show up there with an armload of microbrew and another of bud lite and I think you’ll get the whole story.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.