Honeycrisp vs Red Delicious - "how we finally got good apples"

That’s totally fine. I didn’t say that they’re all mealy or bland, and I’m sorry if you took that from my comment. My point wasn’t that Red Delicious apples are bad (and I actually said, specifically, that they aren’t) and, as you say, can be quite good! My point was that a RD is a solid basic apple that is the ‘archetypal apple’ that most people are familiar with, meaning that (objectively) more intensely flavored or crisper apples will seem too sweet, too tart, unnaturally crisp, inedibly hard, etc. The RD is the solid middle ground that most people know as An Apple.

2 Likes

Gravensteins or nothing.

Gravensteins are better for making applesauce than straight eating, in my opinion.

I made a french apple tart, bring the ice cream and we can debate which apples I used…

3 Likes

Did you seriously make that? That’s an absolutely gorgeous tart.

For what it’s worth, I’m not a big fan of these new ‘super crisp’ apple varieties like HoneyCrisp; they’re like biting into kit-kat wafers.

3 Likes

I did not make that one specifically…I grabbed a random google image. If you look through my Instagram you can see one’s I’ve made. It tends to be an August - December baked treat in my house. I grew up across from a 35 acre orchard…so we made apple-stuff all year round growing up. My kids like apple tarts and the cinnamon cookies I make from the left over dough.

I am all for really any apple type but generally follow a simple line in the sand…I prefer to eat apples that have a crisp flesh and cook with apples that have softer flesh. Macs used to always be the best in New England for any cooking, but over the last decade they just kind of turn to mush now.

2 Likes

It’s a pet peeve of mine that the local supermarket only has grapes in “green” and “red”, but maybe I should rethink that. I don’t want to pay extra for patented branded varieties that will degrade over time.

2 Likes

… in your opinion.

1 Like

I know this is weird, but I’m going to complain about how big apples are. I don’t recall if they were smaller when I was a kid, but now, at least when I buy apples at our Costco, usually honeycrisp, they strike me as huge; twice what I usually want to eat in a sitting. Some can’t actually be cut by those circular apple slicers. And getting the first bite on a whole one is like a dog going after an exercise ball. I want a smaller, more portable apple.

7 Likes

You should have drank the coffee we had. The memory of it makes me shudder.

3 Likes

Hah, yeah. I hear Folgers has actually been forced to up their game, but I haven’t had the heart to try it.

1 Like

I’d be fascinated to find out. I used to work for Folgers; the guys in charge of Folgers wouldn’t even drink Folgers.

3 Likes

I had a coworker who switched to Folgers for financial reasons (c.f. https://boingboing.net/2019/04/30/motivational-tweets.html), and felt it had become tolerable. He drank coffee like most people fuel a car, though. Not sure if that made him more or less sensitive to the quality.

1 Like

This is the correct opinion. Another vote for the Russet Revolution!

1 Like

If the tomato comes from a store, I don’t eat it. Those grocery store things are an insult to all that is good and holy.

Pro tip: at a regular grocery store (not Costco), find the pre-filled plastic bags of apples. They’re smaller.

Yeah, grapes seem to be where apples were.

It isn’t so much that the original variety degrades, but that growers will intentionally substitute derived varieties and not change the name. The original variety is still out there somewhere, even if it isn’t widely grown.

4 Likes

Upstate NY Aldi generally has the smallish honeycrisps in 2lb bags. Just right!

1 Like

Bumblefuck Doug’s peculiar theories about red apples:

Not gonna lie, I would absolutely try one of those Pucker-Lips

3 Likes