Horrid sriracha merch

Um. Oh Lord.

. . . the Sriracha Cock in thigh boots and ball gag kneeling before Dr. Bronner holding a long scroll of many words some archaic or in Korean, each gibbering line a different font, some handset, presented publicly for mass consumption but the words are to ME, and to you and to each of us.
AND ALL OF IT ALMOST MAKES SENSE BUT NONE OF IT TOTALLY DOES, SO I’M CONFUSED AND DRIVEN TO CONTINUEREADINGWATCHINGCONSUMINGCONSUMINGCONSUMING.

Yep. U nailed it.

2 Likes

It reminds me of old Christian tracts I used to find around my great grandmother’s house but written by a hippie and with Lots of Tolkienish Capitalization.

Revivalist somethin…thinkin on it…

Spotless Freak Revivalism? But the person u met doesn’t sound freaky. Quakerish maybe…gahhh…i give up for now. I do wanna go buy a big bottle of each tho. Hope I don’t get confused and bathe in Sriracha and douse my ramen with peppermint Bronners

I love tracts (style not content or message in general). I have toyed with the idea of producing my own.

My love and I love odd book stores. Where ever we travel we love the “alternative” bookstores that are thick zines, something of a rarity. Some the the 1960’s reprints of commune manuals and tracts are over the top. My mother has collected schoolhouse and grange fundraiser cookbooks from before I was born. They too have a “random” style all their own. From their odd binding to their typography. Tracts, zines, and “PTA” fundraiser cookbooks are all fantastic slices of lo-fi local culture trapped in time.

They have a style, and are internally consistent in their inconsistency. Somewhere I h̶a̶v̶e̶

/had a tract collection- humm, perhaps it did not survive the last purge.

I just grabbed a few from the book shelf. Look at all the diffrent fonts and typesetting.

5 Likes

That would be more of a trademark than copyright.

2 Likes

I’m sure many besides me would love if you shared more about this.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Is it a bong or a bagpipe?

1 Like

2 Likes

I think that might be too off topic.

Suffice it to say, that I am thinking about what are the aesthetics or rules for tracts, wacky zines, fundraiser cookbooks and as noted above BSC (it needs a better name) advertising copy. Each is compelling in it’s own way, easily identifiable, yet like religion, there is no one rull that applies to each of the members within a set (i.e. fundraising cookbooks).

Side note, if you are at a rummage sale or- go look for spiral bound or stapled cookbooks. You may find a gem. My mother has one that contains a recipe for ambrosia followed by candied seal flipper and then 1950s meatloaf followed by something like how to prepare frozen whale blubber. I may be remembering incorrectly, but there were like 6 different meatloaf recipes in that books. If my mother had access to the ingredients she would have tried the interesting recipes on us.

Pardon the digression. Sriracha stuff. Consume!

2 Likes

A lovely friend got me a set of these Sithrak tracts from the Oglaf comic a couple of years back. https://topatoco.com/products/og-sithraktracts They are wondermous.

4 Likes
ketchup for the truly sad

I used to look down on ketchup as well, as a sort of horrible Americanism like Wonder Bread. But then I discovered Omurice, a Japanese fried rice omelet that involves ketchup. Particularly good omurice actually includes ketchup in the fried rice itself besides just as a topping. It really works.

1 Like

Ketchup has it’s uses but if your dumping it on everything you got problems. And I was specifically talking about how Americans tend to add acid to their food with condiments rather than cooking food with an acid element already present. Using ketchup as an ingredient is pretty much the opposite of that.

Also Asian ketchup tends to be very different from the American default.

1 Like

I’m also of the mind that good food doesn’t need anything added to it to make it better. With the exception of something spicy, as in my experience when making food for a group of people not everyone likes food to the same heat level so being able to add it when you’ve served yourself is the preferred course of action. But you still don’t want the hot sauce you’re adding to mask the flavor of the dish if its super vinegary or overly sweet.

Ok but that sort of ignores some very deep, cultural structures for how food and meal structures really work.

Like you could say that if that Jewish deli was really good food it wouldn’t need that plate of pickles to offer an acid hit. But that plate of pickles is a pretty deeply embedded part of how a Jewish deli meal is structured, it’s pretty good on it’s own and the meal is structured around heavy, fatty foods with controlled applications of acid. The mustard on your pastrami isn’t covering up an inadequacy, it’s an integral part. The little plate of chili paste or siracha, lime, cilatro and sliced peppers coming with your Pho isn’t to make up for the pho being bad, it’s part of good pho. And then you’ve got stuff like Ban Chan and Mez.

We don’t add acid to our food with condiments and sides/garnish because its bland or we don’t like those things. It’s a result of the base way our cuisine is structured. Inherited from very specific culinary traditions in Europe. A cuisine is more than single dishes. It’s in whole meals and their structures. Some cuisines look to stick all of the major flavor catagories in each individual dishes. Many European cuisines spread them out across a meal; and that includes sides, drinks, and condiments.

So yeah if you need to block out what your eating with half a bottle of strongly flavored hot sauce it’s probably bad or bland. And if you’re in the habit of covering all food in the same condiment regardless of whether it fits you got a problem. But the American habit of squirting something acidic on dishes isn’t that.

3 Likes

mah boinger! That’s the stuff right there. That size bottle is like $1 where I am.

Although get the black label extra hot one.

Yes, it is different than Sriracha. This stuff is actually hot. Like a thicker Tapatio maybe? Good stuff on pizza.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.