Horror movie directors use these fascinating tricks to scare the hell out of you

Originally published at: Horror movie directors use these fascinating tricks to scare the hell out of you | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I’m not scared.
Jim Carrey Omg GIF

3 Likes

Scary stuff kids!

6 Likes

You may have felt it rather than heard it.

That’s right, BusinessInsider, I watch your youtube channel using a proper home theater. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

As long as these tricks empasize a good story and isn’t used as a substitue for one.

So, The Shining came out in 1980, and iirc, it was Kubrick’s first horror film. How much of his technique is innovative, and how much of it is Kubrick putting his spin on established cinematographic tropes of the horror genre? Hitchcock is early enough that horror directors arguably aped his technique, and not vice versa.

The comparison between hitchcock’s dolly zoom (also seen in jaws) and shakycam offended me.

2 Likes

Yep, there is a lot in this “analysis” that is wonky if not just stating the ‘bleeding’ obvious… Oooh low rumbly sound?

And the negative space thing requires just a little more explanation re the use of space and objects ‘mise en scene’ wise

2 Likes

sounds like a custard pie fight

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.