Horror stories from Vice freelancers

No surprise there.

12 Likes

Or probably more accurately, adding more $$$ to his wallet! Sheesh… Good on you for refusing to play that game.

6 Likes

While we are shitting on Vice… I can’t get past Bill Maher’s association with the company. He’s a producer for their show on HBO. I really liked the first season. But as Maher’s unrelenting bigotry against muslims that he defends as liberalism became more and more strident I found that it tainted my trust in their reporting. It just makes me unwilling to give the show a fair shot- when I sit down to watch it I can’t get past the ick factor of knowing he has influence over it.

2 Likes

Sounds like just about every job I’ve ever had actually.

Here is your full time ‘job’. And here are all the other things that only a dick wouldn’t pitch in and help on. So, are you a dick or a team player?

4 Likes

5 Likes

I feel for creative types working free-lance. Tried writing sf years ago. The treatment I got from editors (with one exception) was so fucking poor, I said to hell with it. I’ve seen publications in other fields where it’s no longer payment on acceptance, or even payment on publication, but payment after publication. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

2 Likes

During the depths of the American recession ~2008-2009, I made the mistake of writing articles for Demand Media. Short, stupid articles on stupid subjects (“how do I mow grass?”, “How do I pick a chainsaw for purchase?”, etc.). The articles were brief and the pay even less so–it was nothing more than a soul-crushing experience.

2 Likes

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.