Horse (car) unable to "Charge!" (drive) through deeply-flooded road

I got one to document all the crazy crap happening directly in front of me on the road. All of which culminated with a pane of glass flying out the bed of a Ford Ranger, narrowly missing my car (I had little time or space to react) two days before my dashcam arrived in the mail. Now nothing of interest happens in front of me on the road. It works like a tiger warding stone!

7 Likes

It mostly depends on where the air intake for the engine is…

1 Like

An example must be made.

3 Likes

Car unable to drive through deeply-flooded road

2 Likes

Aw, I wouldn’t worry about it. Just replace the engine and you’ll be back on the road.

I would love to see an electric car built like a mini moke or an old style jeep. It would be nice and heavy so you could drive it down a boat ramp, across your local body of water and emerge on the other side.

1 Like

The air filter is almost always in the same place; near the top of the engine compartment. It’s really a matter, of how high that is above the water level, and how the water level might be made higher by creating a bow-wave, or splashing about. Though this bloke’s hood was rather low, I suspect it was really the “splashing about” that was the major factor in his demise - as @phuzz said, if he had taken it slower he might have been able to push through.

The lesson is this; never enter a deep puddle if you don’t have to, measure first if you can, and proceed slowly with the expectation that you might have to back out if the water goes above critical bits of your engine like the air intake. Oh, and know where your air intake is in the first place. And once (if) you’ve crossed, rinse your car down and check everything when you get home, because being submerged can damage important parts of the engine and transmission, which may not be evident for days or weeks.

Charge?

I’m sorry, sir, your car(d) did not go through

1 Like

Pft! That’s nothing! Check out Wallington yesterday:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.