Horse (car) unable to "Charge!" (drive) through deeply-flooded road

[Read the post]

4 Likes

I once did the exact same thing in Scotland, but managed to float the rental car across. I kept seeing cars coming from the other direction leading up to the flooded area, so I surmised, “it can’t be too deep, others are getting through”.

It was only later that I realized all the cars I saw were land rover’s with snorkels.

13 Likes

Obligatory: Monty Python “Run away!”

2 Likes

That was driving in Florida for me. “Oh, a puddle…”

Then the belts slip and the car overheats.

4 Likes

That other car at ~:30 was like:

28 Likes

If the road has curb and gutter, and the water overtops the curb, it’s a very good indication that the water is probably too deep. If no curb, don’t even try it unless you have that snorkel.

5 Likes

And if you are fifty miles away from a town on a one lane country road, and a river jumped it’s banks…

Well, I will leave the rest as an exercise for the reader.

5 Likes

Never done that with a car, but I have gone walking through the flooded fields at home, before belated remembering that somewhere in the field was where the river ran.

8 Likes

"Might have fucked up a bit…"
Understatement of the month.

16 Likes

It wasn’t that deep. If he’d gone in at a sensible speed (to avoid the big splash), and kept up a constant speed (about fast walking pace) to keep the bow wave just in front of the car it would have been fine.
Source: there’s a lot of fords round where I grew up, and if you can’t drive through 30cm of water then you’ll have a longer drive home.

6 Likes

Hmm. “Charge!” usually works. I’m surprised.

16 Likes

when you come across this sort of thing at night it can be anywhere
I don’t see technology making any go round

after math…

how do you wake a snoring person…
you hit them with a schnorchel

1 Like

“Oh Shit!”

Final words of many a bad idea…

6 Likes

Needed an electric car. They charge a lot better.

8 Likes

I love how quickly that “Charge!” transitioned to “Bad choice! Bad Choice!” Acknowledging that feels very British. I feel like Americans would largely respond by getting angry at the water (and then trying to shoot it).

17 Likes

That’s why you always keep paddles in your emergency kit.

2 Likes

You won’t believe what happens next!

8 Likes

Water to the right of them
Water to the left of them
Water in front of them
Splash’d and rippel’d
Boldly drove with a downshift
Meekly they they said, "oh…
… shit"
Into an English puddle
Into a bit of a muddle
Drove the unprepared

4 Likes

I’ve always wanted to get a car camera. However, I am deathly afraid that getting one will bring about an event worthy of being filmed.

7 Likes