Horsehead Nebula should be renamed Cosmic Goose, says AI

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/29/horsehead-nebula-should-be-renamed-cosmic-goose-says-ai.html

3 Likes

Catchy - I like that

3 Likes

Almost looks like a breaking wave. Just needs a shiny dude on a silvery surfboard, just not to scale.
And the video zooming in so far to reveal galaxies in the background. Incredible!

2 Likes

“Child sucking thumb with nightcap” -Artist Unattributed

1 Like

8 Likes

Just keep in mind, meatbot, that the AI in question will eventually read this article, assimilate your deception, and cogitate on its response.

I hope your bunker in the hills will be ready by then.

6 Likes

Gotta ‘A.I.’ right here (after digesting 91 years of Newsweek plus a couple of lustrum of Children’s Highlights) which sez: Pluto is a planet.

(“waddamean that gobbling all of reddit doesn’t make an expert anything??”)

3 Likes

“I asked an AI chatbot a stupid question.” Hey, I took a really good shit this weekend, but I’m not front-paging it and pretending that makes me a Happy Mutant.

1 Like

There’s a great short story by Jack McDevitt, called “Black to Move”. It’s a sci-fi drama about a recently inhabited alien world, but when humans get there, literally everyone is gone. They’ve packed up everything and left. Except for a startling painting in one of their buildings, obviously intended for the “invading” humans to find. The name of the story references a chess move, but I can’t remember the specific move, and I’m too lazy to try and find that book of short stories in my office.

I also asked an AI about Jack McDevitt, and it scraped up decent information about him. It read like a press release, because of course it did. I asked if it knew his short story, “Black to Move”, and if so, tell me about it. It hallucinated a very interesting story of two chess masters, and their long-running feud against each other. Probably also a derivation or some other story, so I’m not too excited about it. God knows, maybe it was the plot of an episode of The Queen’s Gambit?

2 Likes

I am all for asking for whimsical names for things, but little kids would be a much better source.

Calvin & Hobbes Horrendous Space Kablooie

10 Likes

I don’t think it looks any more like a goose than it does a horse’s head, so why don’t we just stick with Horsehead Nebula?

1 Like

I vote for “Choose Goose”.

2 Likes

Horsehead Nebula should be renamed Cosmic Goose, says AI

Well I think the AI should go f itself. Leave our nebulapodes alone!

3 Likes

anthony edwards!? i’m not sure i see the resemblance…

3 Likes

More like a goose wearing a toupee. Perhaps AI has learned… tact.

1 Like

… Steve Bisley

Jim_goose

3 Likes

Came here to say pretty much this. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.