Hotel chef fired for boasting on Instagram that he feeds meat to vegans

No one here said this, and no one here is defending factory farming. It makes you sound silly when you don’t recognize fairly major differences in views and put words in people’s mouths.

9 Likes

I’m not denying there are abuses, which I noted here -

“And FTR, I’m not saying that doing one’s part to try and make the world a better place is not a good thing, nor do I think that we shouldn’t try and practice the most humane and sustainable raising of livestock and/or using what they produce.”

Your statement is not equal to mine at all and I can’t help you if you don’t understand why.

8 Likes

After reading this article you’re left questioning whether or not this guy is an asshole? Really?

1 Like

I’m assuming you know some doctors, lawyers, chefs then?

If it’s at all reassuring, 18 years in kitchens and no one put anything in anything that didn’t belong. Still, tip well. I couldn’t possibly be paid enough to be nice to that many people every damn day, some of which will treat a server horribly without even thinking.

6 Likes

I seriously doubt this cook could have fed meat to a vegan without getting caught. Your vegan is exquisitely sensitive to meat on a molecular level and would have detected and rejected anything with meat in it in a microsecond.

7 Likes

Factory farming is the only reason most people have access to meat. In practical terms, there’s really no difference between defending meat-eating and defending factory farming.

You made a dumb, sweeping generalisation and the poster replied by making another sweeping generalisation.

1 Like

Well how do you like that, an asshole finally gets treated as they should.

… in public.

14 Likes

We’re not trying to “win” you, your royal self-absorbedness…

1 Like

H’yeah, made biologically-specific for their own offspring…

2 Likes

who hasn’t fed a vegan some meat?
you know what i mean?

~wink~ ~wink~ ~nudge~ ~nudge~

(immature but couldn’t be helped…)

13 Likes

"vegan is exquisitely sensitive to meat on a molecular level "

A couple years ago a catering company (in NYC) kept a movie production fed, then at the wrap party one of the catering employees tells the only vegan there (who is quiet about her veganism) that, “haha”, he had been putting meat juice in her food. She maintained her composure, but was shocked that he would joke about that, then later realized that yeah, she had previously felt sick for a few days after eating and so stopped eating the catered food and started bringing her own.

1 Like

My inner 8 year old likes your comment.

7 Likes

In all honestly as much as we joke that very rarely ever happens. And if it does its usually at a pretty low rent, unprofessional operation. Think chain restaurants and tourist traps. Its considered pretty, well, unprofessional. A mark of lack of skill and disregard for the job. The only example I’ve ever seen is a few bartenders giving out free Jersey Turnpikes. You drain the bar mats into a shaker, shake to chill, then deliver the resulting liquid as a free shot to a problem customer. So basically a cold shooter composed of all the spilled beer, booze, cleaners, food crumbs, and at the time cigarette ash that landed on the bar. I’ve only seen it in a college grind bar. And you had to be a really big problem. We’re talking king douche no tip who gropes all the ladies. Jokes on the subject, and even toothless threats and wistful suggestions happen constantly. Good way to blow off steam, swap stories of all the nasty shit you’ve heard about or saw actually done that one time at that one place. More common are the sorts of dirty tricks that aren’t gross/dangerous but save time or effort by tanking quality or service. Coke mixed with Sprite to mimic gingerale. Swapping decaf and regular coffee depending on which ones already made. Deep frying a steak to get it done/browned faster on a redo. Sometimes these are done out of spite, but other times its simply a time saving measure in an operation that’s a bit of a shit show.

Sometimes. Take your Inuit/various Alaskan and Northern Canadian Natives (I’m unsure of the proper catchall for these cultures). Their traditional diet was almost exclusively based on meat and animal products. And the diet in those regions/cultures is still pretty meat and fish heavy. And I don’t think anyones going to argue that those cultures are wealthy or privileged. And that would be one example. We could go into the Irish and their fetish for potatoes as another. Traditional diet originally based in dairy/animal products, colonialist economic domination forced them onto a largely vegetarian diet. First based on wheat, which didn’t provide sufficient calories under the growing system used. Then shifted to the potato. Traditional diets are based on minimal staple crops or products, largely determined by climate and geography. With small and variable supplements of additional, rarer, more expensive, or harder to collect/raise foods based largely on level of wealth and access. The chance to refuse whole categories of food without depriving yourself (as with vegans and vegitarians) is almost exclusively one provided by a position of wealth and privilege. In most cases you aren’t going to see those poor folks in destitute countries refusing any available food on principal when actual hunger is the other option.

The rare exceptions (ish) tend to be religious in nature. Lots of vegetarians in the Indian Subcontinent for example. Mostly down to Hindu and Buddhism. And actually a tradition of veganism (ish), because Jains. But in those cases you’re largely talking about an area where the staple foods aren’t meat based/heavy anyway, the climate is pretty well amenable to a plant focused diet. And animal products in the form of butter and other milk derivatives are actual staples in many places. In other words down to the local economic level, and agricultural disposition these are people who wouldn’t be eating much meat anyway. So it may not necessarily represent as much deprivation to consciously avoid it. And their forms of vegetarianism and pseudo-veganism look a hell of a lot different, and are predicated on vastly different concepts than ours.

14 Likes

Thank you. This was my point.

7 Likes

Are they even allowed to?!?

1 Like

Let’s just imagine what he does with people he has issues with…

2 Likes

If joking around in bad taste is an offense that’s worth being fired over,
then calling other people ‘assholes’ on the internet and participating in their public shaming should lead to job loss as well, shouldn’t it?

At least making jokes in bad taste is, in my book, a lesser offense than calling people “assholes” because they got in one pissing contest with another person on the internet.

No, it is not.
But casting a reasonable doubt that you are backstabbing your customers is. I guess the owner/manager of the Hotel really had no other choice than get rid of him.
Whether or not he took pleasure from it, that is another story.

Well… it would be if you were an employee of an online asshole reputation consulting firm and you were clearly identified as one on your comments.
Thanks god i am anonymous!

5 Likes