Hotwheels Xylophone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/30/hotwheels-xylophone.html

4 Likes

I think that we’re picking up a bit of hiss and pop from the track.

14 Likes

I now expect a years long quest to realize this repeatably through over-engineering:

11 Likes

With bars hanging from one end it seems more like a semantron than xylophone.

7 Likes

This could benefit from better microphone placement, the sounds of the cars could make the composition more interesting if it was quieter. Still thought this was quite cool.

8 Likes

This definitely brought a smile to my face on a hectic day. I was initially thinking it was some super elaborate computer controlled release mechanism and was (briefly) sad that it was edited. But - it was edited well and still is an amazing and whimsical video :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems like he would need to have a far more complicated machine to release the cars at the right times. We’re just seeing the tip of the iceberg here!

2 Likes

Beautiful.

1 Like

I was going to say glockenspeil.

3 Likes

Not much more complicated than late 19th century tech. Similar to the holes in a player piano scroll, you could line up/space out (a ton of) cars in the appropriate pattern and feed them to the tracks. I made something similar to make a 12-channel spatial speaker array for an architecture school project. Chassis of a belt sander, a long scroll with a ton of methodically places holes cut out to let the speaker leads connect or not. Super low tech but it lead to real 5.1 mixing a few years later. Mechanical solutions to random things like this (or ‘old Time’ in-camera movie effects) are so much more fun than the admittedly easier but not as soul-satisfying digital solution.

2 Likes

The difficulty would be the ~1.5 second delay between pressing the key and the sound. And now I’m picturing a hot-wheels Linotype, which would assemble rows of cars with letters written onto the rooves. (roofs?)

2 Likes

it would’ve been difficult to film otherwise

OK GO laughs at your difficulties.

6 Likes

This cheered me up immensely.

1 Like

Nice little tune

What’s the deal?

:slight_smile:

“Hotwheels Xylophone” is a decent band name =).

3 Likes

Definitely not any xylon around. Idiophone is definitely correct, as should be metallophone.

Now, can I get my pedant’s badge?

1 Like

Came for the pedantry. Leaving satisfied. I’ll do my part by saying that the German word “spiel” (“play”) has a long-e sound, and is therefore spelled as I do here, and that the glockenspiel is the portable, wearable, marching version. I would have said “bells”; I think @LutherBlisset covered it definitively.

1 Like

Hell’s bells, I lost my pedant’s pedant badge over the -spiel / -speil issue, didn’t I?

retreating to Oscar Meyer Wienermobile topic to wein about it

2 Likes

There, there…

idAKwR3

3 Likes