House Democrats schedule first open hearings in Trump impeachment inquiry

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/06/house-democrats-schedule-first.html

7 Likes

(beat ya to it Tim :slight_smile: )

18 Likes

Meanwhile, in the Mirror Universe: Republicans responded to this news by thanking Democrats for acquiescing to their requests for increased transparency and vowed to carefully and impartially consider the evidence before them as the process moves forward.

38 Likes

Excellent news…also…they’re going to make me use some vactions days to watch this :frowning_face:

13 Likes

CSPAN or all networks?

5 Likes

7 Likes

Pretty sure that a few more Trump cronies will end up in prison.

I’m looking at you Rudy.

And they’ll take Donnie down with them in the general.

15 Likes

Wishful thinking…I’m cynical and a little dead inside.
It will probably be somewhere in the middle, but closer to little to no repercussions for those fucking higher up Rs. Some scapegoating and light sentences to be handed down.

3 Likes

this depends on your threshold of what the “Nothing” is.

If you expect these hearings to convince the Senate to formally convict him and boot him from office…then sure, I agree: “nothing” gonna happen.

But if you are more realistic and expect that the open hearings will convince a larger portion of the independent base and even a fraction of the GOP base to vote for ANYONE other than him in 2020…then this will do a whole lot.

17 Likes

There’ll be a Twitter (server) meltdown when this starts. Mostly caused by his Trumptyness.

3 Likes

Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort , senenced to seven and a half years. Micahel Cohen to 3 years.

Rudy is 75 years old - 7 years is likely to be a life sentence - 3 is huge for a guy burning down his candle.

15 Likes

I hope you’re right and I’m horribly wrong

7 Likes

KeenanCorn

2 Likes

TV is trump’s thing. He’ll find a way to turn it into a goddamned circus of freaks.

2 Likes

And Trump’s got at least a few reasons to try and throw him under the bus at the moment.

Pretty sure when they run out of variants on sure we did but there’s nothing wrong with that we’ll be getting “Rudy did it”.

5 Likes

He was just relying on the advice of his attorney!!!

Who doesn’t represent the President & who wasn’t acting as an attorney.

8 Likes

Which hopefully means that Rudy dumps everything in exchange for not spending the rest of his life in lock-up.

13 Likes

Which I’m sure they’re thinking about. But Guiliani has a credibility issue cause he’s fucking coocoo bananas. So they may be less worried about it.

Deep state never Trumper, secret DEMOCRAT Rudy Guiliani tried to sell our country for Nasty Nancy! To Ukraine! Where the server is! Did you know he’s met Hillary?!

8 Likes

24 Likes

This is the part I don’t get, and isn’t getting much coverage. Even if we sweep the content of everything under the covers of “who cares”. (We should not do this, but pretend.)

Aren’t we still left with, “The president of the United States went outside of the government structure to conduct foreign relations with another country”.

Even if we pretend the content/requests/information between the Ukraine government and Rudy was all just fine. We’re still left with an individual who isn’t part of the government conducting official government business outside of all of the legal controls mandated for conducting government business. And, being directed directly by a government official.

That seems like a problem to me. If the regulations that control how government works can all be ignored by government, what’s the point of any of them. And if there’s no point to the laws the govern how government works, what’s the point of the laws that control how private companies work.

Frick, that’s depressing. :anguished:

6 Likes