House Dems press Secret Service on payments to Trump

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/12/house-dems-press-secret-servic.html

‘Secret Service had been charged up to $650 per night for rooms at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida, and charged $17,000 a month for a cottage at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster’

4 Likes

I would like to think that all the obvious corruption of the Trump administration will inoculate future Democratic presidents from all the BS corruption charges that Fox News with throw at them, but who the f$%k am I kidding.

17 Likes

Funny how tRump Co. don’t want to cut their budget…

11 Likes

I hope nobody on the committee is holding their breath for this information. We are witnessing the stonewall king of America here.

15 Likes

I have a kernel of hope that they dislike him as much as 2/3rds of the country does and someone complies.

17 Likes

“They stay at our properties for free — meaning, like, cost for housekeeping,”

Wow, they pay their housekeepers really well!

16 Likes

The secret is deferred compensation!

6 Likes

He pays 13$ an hour, so I guess they have two of them who work 24 hours a day on each room?

6 Likes

I wonder if Eric Trump actually knew what they were charging and lied, or if that’s the sort of detail his dad is in charge of, and Eric made the wacky assumption, or believed the wacky lie that they were going to be above board on this?

3 Likes

The Trumps don’t “believe” anything, they just say stuff and then get furious when reality doesn’t reshape itself to match their proclamations.

23 Likes

Likely so. I’m still stuck in the historically obsolete “facts matter” era.

6 Likes

AOC and Tlaib are in there, so maybe a little more than a kernel…

7 Likes

I try really hard to hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and to expect nothing.

10 Likes

Much wisdom.

1 Like

“All I know is that I don’t really know shit.”

~ paraphrased from Socrates, obvi

3 Likes

With another year of, “I can do anything I want without consequence” for this turd, I suppose we can only hope he can still be prosecuted as a normal civilian once he’s out of office. Assuming he doesn’t go the whole, “dictator for life” route.

2 Likes

Those are some long odds. No administration really wants to make their predecessors answer for their crimes for fear that some future administration might continue the practice.

1 Like

The whole argument for prosecuting Trump, for impeaching Trump, is the idea that his behavior is exceptionally bad. If none of this is true, if Barr is correct, if Trump is exercising power as any president would do, if he’s normal-- then yes, any successor would rightly fear reprisal. But if we were correct all along, then future presidents have little to fear from heightened standards.

3 Likes

Which it most certainly is, and deserves to be prosecuted.

I’m just not holding my breath on the next President encouraging the precedent of sending Presidents to jail, especially when Trump’s fans love to do the false equivalency thing. “If they get to send one of OUR guys to prison then we get to send one of THEIR guys to prison, fair is fair!”

4 Likes

If they can’t provide an accounting of the funds, they don’t need them.

Cut it out of the budget Congress - that’s your power to address these issues.

1 Like