House Republicans propose poisoning Net Neutrality bill with Article-13-like liability

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/11/rep-greg-walden.html

5 Likes

tumblr_p36dps7izR1w97wono2_500

15 Likes

So, a bill that’s about preventing companies from censoring “internet access”, that Republicans frequently argue is about censoring the “internet”, a bad faith argument the intentionally confuses “internet access” and the “internet”. Along with confusing a rule preserving non-discrimination with requiring discrimination, also arguing in bad faith.

Instead this Republican proposes changing the topic to actually require proactive censoring of the “internet” by companies. There by creating the specific scenario that they argued against.

Sounds about right for a Monday. :frowning:

17 Likes

deeply unpopular ideas that only a tiny minority of mostly very rich people like

If I can make myself like those ideas will I become very rich?

9 Likes

[TV narrator voice]
“No.”

8 Likes

Excellent work, Greg Walden; you’re the next candidate for the Stupidity Tax! I’m keeping a list…

4 Likes

Apropos of nothing but worth sharing

5 Likes

extremely broad, error-prone algorithmic censorship…

Well F_u.44 that! Kids defeated that back when I was a kid!

1 Like

Someone needs a filter at their ISP, and it’s any elected official that suggests this kind of bullshit.

A backhoe could take care of it, if we threw the official in the hole with the ripped up copper.

2 Likes

Fucking Republicans. Luckily, I don’t see this proposal passing unless Democrats are feeling politically suicidal by passing one of the most unpopular legislation. It’s concerning, but I’m not in panic mode unless we actually see these passing committee. Democrats passing this will pretty much destroy any credibility they have and pretty much ruin the whole democratic institution even further.

2 Likes

Gee, Walden doesn’t even have any of the companies who would benefit from this in his district. Which means he’s selling out his constituents, many of whom live in not just rural, but extremely remote areas, to out of state interests. What a dick.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.