Houston bar doubles down after refusing entry to service dog

Or rather that they understand con. law in the manner of also having all the drinks inside them, and that therefore there will be fights. Their electrics are done by their chiller person, the ventilation got signed off by the electrician, the wastewater is kind of a secret, and they’re busier when you come in off the roof, though you’ll want to buy a shot glass off the needle exchange by the door. One does not get to be the Crazy Girl Saloon of Humble without a lock on multiple psychoses. (Love that they were also attributing the Drinking Habit to the animal’s aid, too. Who’s a good girl?)

11 Likes

This was the announcement prior to going to that bar.

We’re going to Humble!!! That’s right come check out Saved Savage Sunday Service at Crazy Girl Saloon. This Sunday at 2:00pm. See you Saved Savages there!! It’s a road trip so bring a car full of Saved Savages and let’s fill the place!

It seems they do this every Sunday. The videos I looked at appear as though they are welcome at other places. This bar did not appear to be welcoming.

If he had a trained service animal as described in the ADA then he had every right to be there with his trained dog. If the dog wasn’t trained as described in the ADA then the bar has the right to ask him to remove the dog. But the law does not allow the bar to ask for proof of training.

But you know who does ask for proof? A court. The guy says he won’t pursue legal action. Could be a good Christian or he knows he was fibbing about the trained part.

All that being said, if it were my bar and a customer needed a dog then the dog stays.

And after looking at the bar’s Facebook page, I can’t imagine it ever allowing any type of ministry and I’m inclined to believe the dog owner.

5 Likes

“Service animal” has a specific meaning defined in Federal and Texas law. It must be specially trained to provide assistance. Under Texas law, there also appear to be penalties for falsely representing an untrained animal as a service animal in this kind of situation.

It’s disappointing that the newspaper didn’t say whether or how their reporter confirmed that the dog did in fact meet the service animal definition. They just asserted that it was a “service animal” without showing their work.

The law requires public accommodations to accept any and all “this is a trained service animal” assertions at face value, for good public-policy reasons. But journalists are under no such constraint, for equally good reason.

8 Likes

Skip the grain. Under the circumstances you’re warranted to go ahead and take the whole pillar.

4 Likes

@beschizza I had to parse this sentence more than once before I realised there was a typo. It appeared to be saying it WOULD in fact have been illegal.

but mistakenly though that would have been illegal

Yeah, a mithing letter. I thought though.

2 Likes

I might get in a little trouble here for this :slight_smile: As a person with chronic and extremely severe dog-triggered asthma, I’ve spent my life resisting loving doggos, against my animal-loving nature, and avoiding them whenever possible. I’ve never been free to visit friends in their homes, if they’re current or recently dog owners. I have noticed a large recent uptick in people bringing their effing dogs with them EVERYWHERE in retail and restaurant settings, and I almost never see any evidence that they’re service animals. I hate those humans. Often the dogs aren’t that well-behaved, either. And the assholes that let their dogs run off-leash in parks REALLY piss me off, because I’ve been accosted, jumped on, and nipped at. I have started carrying a walking stick with a pointy iron tip. I hope I never have to use it on a dog, but I will if needed. Leave your dogs home people. you don’t need them to effing buy hardware.

13 Likes

As a general rule, it’s safe to assume that disability is complicated, and that if you don’t know directly about a person’s situation or needs, you should let people do their thing. Because ignoring a service animal is really, really easy.

2 Likes

What about the people who actually DO need their service animals? Plenty of people with disabilities do depend on their animals to navigate the world. Do they just not get to go out?

6 Likes

As a person who’s dealt with dog-related PTSD in the past I totally understand you. I want to like dogs, but it takes a lot of work to get comfortable around any particular animal, and running into a dog when I didn’t expect to see one can really put a damper on my day.

6 Likes

You have my sympathy for your allergies. I feel bad for you that you are unable to experience the joy of a savage face-licking from a happy canine.

4 Likes

I get what you and @Michael_Cross are getting at, and yes… people just bringing their pet where ever should be far more considerate of others. But again, this isn’t about that, as much as it is about actual service animals. They legally have a right to ask for and receive this accomodation, right? So some sort of balancing act needs to be reached between allergies, dog related PTSD, and the rights of the disable…

8 Likes

We run into this problem frequently at the library. Trained (or in training) service doggos are welcome, but more than half of the people bringing in dogs are not doing it because they need the assistance, but because they can’t bear to be parted from Fido and believe that bringing their pet with them wherever they go is a right. Some of these people can be weeded out with the two questions we are allowed, but many have learned the ‘correct’ answer to get around it. Even then, we can look the other way until the dog starts misbehaving, or has a flea problem. We have had dogs poop on the carpet, bark aggressively, or even try to nip another patron; at that point we all suffer.

20 Likes

[One I used to visit had a big sign over the bar back that says No Snivelling.]

2 Likes

Here at my library we’ve got a patron who was formerly banned due to urinating in the stacks and another who has, in the past, gotten into trouble for starting a fight with another patron. When we got a new administrator a few years ago, a general amnesty was issued, and since then it’s become very difficult to get someone banned regardless of what problems they cause. I think I’d rather deal with the dogs, at least they’re mostly just being dogs. (Dogs also don’t go around unplugging our equipment!)

11 Likes

Knoxblox’s cat Pastel enters the conversation…

13 Likes

Wait, those weren’t dogs???
Dammit, people!

7 Likes

I was in the process of typing that our kittens do the same thing, when the boy reached over and knocked over a cup of soda as if to say “I have other talents, you know.” Luckily it was almost empty.

9 Likes

Correction: All dogs are assholes. That’s why cops use dogs but you’ll never find them recruiting not-awful animals like cats.

More seriously, I hope this bars ableist owner learns a lesson and, hopefully, changes their bars abelist name.

But was the dog baptized?

4 Likes

Texas is one of those “shit-hole countries” Donald Drumpf was always complaining about.

1 Like