Houston: Mass Shooting Reported, 5+ officers shot, suspect 'down'

Not true; we’re ‘proof’ that ignoring problems actively makes them even worse.

19 Likes

Y’might want to look into the history of Air America in the Golden Triangle during the Vietnam war. Or the CIA in Central America during the Reagan era.

The US military and intelligence services have a long and complex history with drug trafficking.

10 Likes

If only there was a good guy with a gun there at the time, this tragedy might have been prevented.

6 Likes

Obligatory.

6 Likes

I notice that they are requesting only “prayers” this time; rather than “thoughts and prayers”. I guess that the time for rationalism is far behind us.

As a non-American, I find the request for prayers to be slightly odd in and of itself.

10 Likes

Guess he decided to maintain his air of mystery. Especially now that you’ve introduced those pesky facts into the mix.

10 Likes

I dislike the cops a lot more than the average guy but that’s pretty nasty. I bet if this house was next to your house you’d be all over calling 911.

2 Likes

For a drug warrant? Nah… it takes a special some one to rat their neighbors out over drugs unless it’s like a meth lab or something that might actually burn down. Pretty much everything that happened to everybody in this story is bad and went badly though. Everybody loses.

5 Likes

Accros all these countries the group that is always overwhelmingly associated with the most gun violence is men.

We need to start by gun restrictions on men.

16 Likes

Then women formally men? Or men formally women? Where does it end? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are bounded by science - if those other groups are responsible for as much gun violence as cisgender men - have at it. Though I highly doubt that’s the case.

I’m not saying men can’t own guns - just no assault rifles - no magazines with more than 6 bullets, one gun per customer, no high power handguns, no special ammo - and extreme vetting. Definitely a waiting period and no carry permits.

13 Likes

Comparisons are confusing.

Like many of his countrymen, Olaf Garðar Garðarsson is eager to get his hands on a rifle.

But he can’t just walk into a store and buy one. Instead, he is sitting through a mandatory four-hour lecture on the history and physics of the firearm.
- News story supporting your point

Try passing that law the in US. Entirely besides that, any comparison to iceland is obvious disingenuous because Iceland has a population of 330,000.

I agree that it’s not the number of guns but it is very obviously the American attitude towards guns that is perpetuated by people who keep reminding us that it is not the number of guns. Almost no one actually understands statistics, people just quote whatever fact seems to support their own position. So when I see people saying that it’s not the number of guns without talking about what is the problem and how they propose to solve it, I don’t see a rational argument, I see a statement of values.

• If there were a magic incantation that would permanently prevent all mass shootings in America that would require me to destoy all my guns, I would happily do so.
  • I think I’d rather keep the guns.
0 voters

(Poll obviously facetious)

That is why Americans kill each other with guns. When people argue gun violence stats with you, you are fighting a proxy war over the value of whether a person’s guns are more important than another person’s life.

It is the position that nothing can be done itself that is the poison that people are fighting. If gun owners don’t want to be part of the solution, they are not going to like the solution when it finally comes around.

20 Likes

I would allow one, single-barreled, muzzle-loaded, matchlock per person; on the proviso that they couldn’t be carried loaded.

6 Likes

11 Likes

Man, now you tell me; I thought my vote would finally count for something. :frowning:

7 Likes

Given the number of traffic fatalities caused by men (not including road rage incidents), I question whether men should own cars without extreme vetting, let alone guns.

2 Likes

And given how many people drown in swimming pools each year, we really need to outlaw those too.

(Dude, how could you leave out swimming pools?!)

7 Likes

I will have to send a crate of Thoughts & Prayers, hopefully that helps.

2 Likes

390 vs 10,000 is not the same. I’m being completely serious. Male drivers twice as likely to be involved in a traffic accident with a fatality as women (no, it’s not because of different milage). the difference is particularly marked in young men.
for perspective, people dying in traffic accidents are also twice as likely not have been wearing their seatbelt. Sitting in the “death seat” (front passenger seat) also increases your risk, but not as much as a male driver does. So no one wants to put their kid in the front passenger seat, but letting a man drive them puts them in even more danger and no one thinks twice about dad driving.

2 Likes

Also, asking for prayers after a bad incident is strange. It suggests that God was either unaware that the thing happened, or was powerless to stop it.

10 Likes