Houston oil business president charged with punching gay man unconscious

Ha, I did the same thing with my SAAB 900. I could (and sometimes did) live in the back of that thing if I had to.

(Mine was a 3-door but it could have carried that.)

2 Likes

The ā€œbasic etiquetteā€ as the pilot of a 2-ton machine moving at, say 5 miles per hour is to NOT RUN OVER SOMEONE. He piloted his body-crushing machine in a reckless manner. Someone was understandably upset at his carelessness and voiced his opinion. Then this Executive, instead of letting such an ā€œidle curseā€ roll off his back, instead got offended by words. So he escalated the situation rather than ignoring what amounts to small arms fire while heā€™s in a main battle tank.

Irritation like that is unwarranted. Getting upset about it is childish. And we donā€™t let children drive for good reason. Theyā€™re bad at making decisions. Donā€™t condone a man-childā€™s driving. If he actually were an adult he wouldnā€™t have gotten out of his safe and secure truck to punch another pedestrian. Heā€™s a fucking lout and a barbaric animal. Shame him.

2 Likes

For truly gracious SAAB livinā€™, you need one off these:

5 Likes

It should be noted that thought is very frequently a focus in criminal trials. In the case of a homicide, for example, determining the accused state of mind is at least as important as determining whether or not they actually did anything.

The state of mind of the accused at the time of a homicide is much of the difference between diminished capacity/insanityt plea (didnā€™t understand what they were doing), innocent due to pure accident (no intent to harm, but also not ignoring proper safety), negligence (no intent to harm, but taking life-threatening risks without proper precautions), murder in the heat of passion (flipped out, but hadnā€™t really planned on it) and cold-blooded murder (fully intentional, planned killing), amongst other possible variants, each of which typically has different sentencing considerations.

[Iā€™m not even trying to use specific legal terms here - the law varies depending on where you live and allā€¦]

Self defence also often comes down to the personā€™s intent, as the defense is predicated on the accused belief that they were at risk, and (at least in theory) this entails demonstrating that itā€™s reasonable for them to have believed that. Part of the idea here is that a person who killed in self defence is not a threat to society. They made a reasonable, if difficult, decision under the circumstances.

Hate crime laws are, essentially, the opposite of the self-defence argument. They have made a decision to target somebody based on some factor that suggests, rather heavily, that they are likely to do so again because they are operating on an unreasonable dislike for a specific group of people.

8 Likes

Flooring it on an on - ramp probably removes risk from the mergeā€¦ isnā€™t that kind if what youā€™re supposed to do, at least up to the speed limit?

1 Like

Looks to be nothing more than a violent asshole.

And the article headline is needlessly inflammatory.

Of course, if youā€™re gay, or are percieved that way, and you live in the area, heā€™s now a threatening asshole. not just a violent asshole.

3 Likes

If he were a lower level employee Iā€™d call it almost certain that he would be fired. I worked with a guy who one morning was called into the supervisorā€™s office because someone with the same name had been arrested over the weekend. Since it was a different person he was off the hook, but if he had been arrested it would have meant immediate termination.

I know itā€™s hopelessly naive to say that mailroom workers shouldnā€™t be any more expendable than presidents, but a case like this highlights just how absurd the double standard is.

2 Likes

You make a good point about state of mind being a sentencing factor aside from hate crimes, but is someone who is likely to do more violence due to hatred of a particular group worse than someone likely to do the same violence indiscriminately, or to a non-protected group? What makes hating an ethnicity or sexual orientation special, versus hating men in three-piece suits or hippies or women? Do victims of equal-opportunity psychopaths take solace in the knowledge that their attackers werenā€™t overtly bigoted?

As far as day to day operations go, having nobody in the mail room is gonna have a far more immediate detrimental effect than an empty seat in the boardroom for however long it is til the boys get together over golf and find a new chairwarmer says I.

1 Like

Actually, yes.

Because if someone is only violent towards x, then they are more likely to be able to get support from people who arenā€™t x and hate x. And if people in power also hate x, they might block investigations of crimes against x - such as crimes against sex workers and crimes against people with ongoing lawsuits against police forces.

How about:

Unconscious Houston oil business president charged with punching gay man

does this sound more accurate?

And the basic etiquette when you are walking is to wait your turn and not randomly dart in front of drivers to force them to brake or swerve to avoid you.

I see multiple examples of pedestrians behaving badly per day, especially on weekend nights. Pedestrians who know their light says ā€œDonā€™t Walkā€ will cross in front of drivers whose light has turned green and scream at a driver or even pound on the car if the driver dares to object. Once some guy just flipped me off when I was just doing what I was supposed to do waiting for him to cross in the crosswalk. I could never figure that out. He just flipped me off again when I asked why my perceived offense was.

On the other hand there are plenty of negligent and inconsiderate drivers who fail to yield to pedestrians when they are supposed to.

So was this a negligent driver getting defensive about criticism of his poor driving or was he reacting to taunting by pedestrians who were darting in front of him when he they should have waited to cross?

Obviously hitting someone hard enough to cause injury is wrong. Iā€™m still unclear about whether what sparked the original conflict was the driverā€™s fault or the pedestrianā€™s fault.

So, yeah Fera isnā€™t just the president, he also owns MidStar. Itā€™s a tiny directional drilling concern, itā€™s not Exxon or whatever. Pretty sure he wonā€™t fire himself.

1 Like

It matters very much whether the driver:

Hates gay people and used a traffic dispute as a pretext to beat up a gay person.

or

Was acting on road rage either sparked by criticism of his poor driving or taunting by pedestrians who were trying to cross out of turn.

Hurting the person was wrong either way but violence motivated by the personā€™s sexual orientation is much more reprehensible than violence due to a traffic dispute getting out of hand.

Iā€™m going to go way out on a limb and say that hitting someone who isnā€™t threatening you is wrong. Even if they dickishly walked in front of him, getting out and hitting them is not the correct response. A honk and perhaps an extended finger would be not out of line. but getting into a physical altercation? Thatā€™s 30 days. Continuing to hit them until they are unconscious? Get comfortable wearing stripes long-term.

I am still unconvinced that the attack had anything to do with the fact they are gay. Unless we find out he had a record of attacking gays, I think heā€™d have yelled whatever insult he could think of at anyone who had the temerity to be in his way. He might very well dislike gays, but this seems to have been about the traffic altercation.

Itā€™s hard to tell from the OP article - how do you know he targeted them as a gay couple? Or that he targeted them at all, as opposed to just being an asshole driver?

1 Like

Then significant jail time or paying damages in a civil suit will take out the companyā€¦he might not get fired, but the results could be the same.

Itā€™s impossible to tell from the information contained in the article. Iā€™m inclined to think its more about road rage, but would his road rage have been applied in the same manner to heterosexual men?

The fact that he is reported to have multiple arrests makes me think itā€™s road rageā€¦unless those other arrests involved attacks on gays. And we so far havenā€™t even heard of they even happened.