How a midget shouting shalom and a pissing wolf can help your memory

[Read the post]

1 Like

1 Like

All I want is to remember that ā€œcorrect horse battery stapleā€ is not my email password, because itā€™s the only password I can remember these days.

5 Likes

Meanwhile, Iā€™ve got zero interest in improving my memorization skill.

I spend a ton of time creating all kinds of odd mental objects for what Iā€™m working on and turning them into input-output black boxes so I can stand back and connect disparate ideas, zoom and reassemble, and so on.

My mental user interface is basically the opposite of a ā€˜memory palaceā€™. Itā€™s more of a bunch of chunks of reusable code connected by whiteboards. Iā€™ve got google for my memorization now.

And given how little competition I encounter in any work environment I end up in, I wouldnā€™t have it any other way.

2 Likes

I remember in the third grade or so (1990-ish), our teacher tried to introduce some system to help us learn our multiplication tables through associating various pictures with multiplication problems. I think the idea was if a picture was silly enough, we wouldnā€™t forget it and weā€™d also remember the associated math problem. The one picture I remember vividly was a mother with a pizza on her head, which we were to understand meant 5x6=30 (or whatever).

It must not have worked because I donā€™t think we used the system very long. Iā€™ve yet to encounter anyone else who remembers the system, so Iā€™m half convinced I hallucinated it! My wife is an elementary teacher and sheā€™s never heard of it either.

Was it this? http://amzn.com/0976202441

Isnā€™t this the exact same thing Mark posted one hour prior to this?

1 Like

Something like that, but that book was published many years too late to be what we used in class.

To be fair, 8 year old phart was already a cynical bastard, so I donā€™t think I really embraced the system.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.