How a Muslim American professor found protection and companionship with her dog Ziggy

What doesn’t?

Oh, and… You are dead to me.

2 Likes

Who knew the old “What’s coyote ugly?” joke had such a storied provenance!

1 Like

My father and my greatfather always said I never should disturb a animal while it was eating.

1 Like

So, pets go to heaven anyway!

1 Like

They probably said a lot of things. What’s special about that particular bit of wisdom?

Because when an animal is eating, it could attack you beacuse it could think you are trying to steal its food. I wasn’t convinced it was true, but a feral dog changed my mind.

I know it is an anecdote. I think we need to aplly the scientific method in order to test this hypothesis.

My son feels just the same way, when the cat is on his lap and it’s time for chores.

Also, long ago I read that the uncleanness of dogs is because on the battlefield they will happily eat the dead.

1 Like

If it was anything like the pyschotic thing my in-laws have, he was a wise man.

Canids and Hyaenidae seem to be particularly bad about that. When you see dog or hyena packs feeding there’s lots of snapping and jockeying for position that could leave a human badly scarred.

The story about Mohammed’s sleeve, though, is supposed to indicate that he held cats in high respect, in marked contrast to his feelings about dogs.

1 Like

For my money, if we’re talking “spiritual” cleanliness, in a contest between the creature that just unknowingly doesn’t allow good meat to go to waste, and the one that knowingly turned formally living humans into that meat in the first place, I’d go with the dogs every time.

4 Likes

Well then I suppose you’re fired from Islam.

Oh, well. Jihad to go sometime.

1 Like

That’s overblown metaphor…

In South India, we have these open to sky courtyards in the middle of traditional houses, which most often have sunken floors (ie, the area around has a raised floor level compared to the courtyard itself). To keep people from crossing over the corners, which is potentially dangerous as you can slip and fall, it’s said that the goddesses of fortune and wealth reside in those corners and it’s sacrilege to cross them over the courtyard. The point is that it’s porentially dangerous. But when expressed as a religious belief, it becomes dogma…

This is basically the Islamic version of the same thing, I’m guessing…

ze irony - she is palpable!

That’s basically what’s happened, except apparently from the “cat” side…

2 Likes

“The lord thy god hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked - for the day of reckoning.”

OK, that’s actually from Proverbs, I think, but there’s a similar bit in the Q’ran. Essentially the idea is that Yahweh/Allah has set up some traps for you, so that you can have free will. If there was no bad choice allowed, you’d just be a soulless meat-puppet, and not worthy of paradise.

Some folks interpret these kinds of verses differently; instead of taking the view that God created good and bad options which allow a person to be fully ensouled yet free to choose, they say that this proves that only the righteous really matter; God created the wicked folk for punishment so it doesn’t matter what you do to them. Calvinists and Jihadis and those types tend to believe that some are predestined for heaven/paradise, so any evil they do is already forgiven, and others are predestined for gehenna/hell, so it doesn’t matter what gets done to them. Ugly theology, but unfortunately very commonplace, particularly among Christians.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.