How a Pepsi consultant burned a "$400k game jam" down

Would you like this magical state of indeterminacy to continue?

1 Like

Ancillararily somnubalstic or not, favours found on comment sections of the ad certainly seem to indicate the juxtaposition of entwining ideas here. Ignoring that, for the moment (did you even see the related call backs in the following videos?) and delving into the quasi-interloper fashionista ring which seems to have been eminently shipped off to school in the tropics; finding hope at ā€˜the bottom of the barrelā€™ could be seen as going too far.
A glass should do.

1 Like

And Iā€™m sure that a dozen people youā€™ve randomly met are a totally representative sample of hundreds of thousands of people worldwide. After all, the plural of ā€œanecdoteā€ is ā€œdataā€!

2 Likes

Basically, somebody noticed a few profiles on dating sites where the dude was wearing a fedora/trilby and also had some combination of [otherwise poor fashion sense, physically unattractive/overweight, personal description sounds douchey]. They promptly concluded that Fedora = Gross Douchebag and set out to ā€œproveā€ their theory by collecting every single image on the net depicting a vaguely unpleasant dude in a fedora and posting them to Tumblr.

Now, Tumblr loves a good public pillorying, so naturally the idea took off like wildfire, and now Fedora = Gross Douchebag has somehow become a meme.

Fortunately, it only seems to infect Internet People and not real humans; in my experience youā€™re fine wearing a fedora/trilby in the real world as long as you have some care for your appearance and wardrobe and donā€™t let anybody post your picture.

2 Likes

I thought the Fedora was some MRA solidarity thing? I canā€™t keep up with who Iā€™m supposed to hate on the internet.

1 Like

Game programming must be a really good job- to display that degree of petulance and be admired for it. We mortals have to put up with all kind of unpleasant behavior at work lest we be judged ā€œhard to get along withā€.

Gender bias in programming careers is widespread, ingrained and difficult to address. Putting up with it is not an option. Be hard to get along with, if thatā€™s what it takes.

2 Likes

So euphoric.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m starting a charity to help unfortunate children born with fedoras.

3 Likes

By what clothes someone went out of their way to buy and put on? Certainly - after all, thatā€™s probably what the wearer wanted.

What you choose to wear in different settings suggests a lot about you. Fedoras and trilbys are unusual enough that choosing to wear one is a bit of a statement, and pretending that it doesnā€™t play a notable part in the first impression of the wearer is ā€¦ naive at best.

2 Likes

trolley? Yep, trolley.

Not that Iā€™m aware of. Fedora-obsessed Internet People may think itā€™s an MRA solidarity thing, but thatā€™s because theyā€™ve already decided (based on no real evidence) that fedoras make you a douchebag, and once youā€™re convinced yourself of that, itā€™s no great stretch to conclude that all douchebags wear fedoras.

I suppose I wouldnā€™t put it past MRA dirtbags to deliberately adopt fedoras just to tweak the aforementioned Internet People, though. That would be a shame if they managed to accidentally create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

1 Like

The problem is, youā€™re subscribing to and perpetuating a notion that was completely made up by one person with a Tumblr account. Itā€™s like if someone scoured the internet for pictures of men in baseball caps playing Halo and somehow used these to convince Tumblr that wearing a baseball cap is a universal sign that you like Halo. Iā€™m sure there are a fair number of men who both enjoy Halo and wear ballcaps, because itā€™s a big world and both of those categories are large enough to afford a lot of random overlap, but assuming that the one necessarily implies the other because some dudes on the internet say so is absurd.

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up. So basically itā€™s a ā€œdumb blondeā€ type connection, equivalent in this case to talking about something really stupid a woman did while drawing constant attention to the fact that she has blonde hair. And this kind of blatant bigotry/sexism is being openly encouraged now. Shame on you Boingboing!

Perhaps Mr Beschizza would care to clarify Boingboingā€™s stance on this kind of thing.

1 Like

Again, thereā€™s a very important difference between your natural hair color and your choice in unusual headwear.

As for this being a tumblr thing - maybe, though Iā€™ve never seen it there; Iā€™m very rarely on tumblr. Still, though: When talking about PUA/MRA people, showy hats tend to crop up in their pictures, rather more often than on anyone else in the sub-60 set.

Or, to approach from a different angle: A cursory search on peacocking gave a huge list of pages. Of the handful I scanned, all of them recommended hats. With that in mind, isnā€™t it at least plausible that there might be an over-representation?

Sure, but showy everything is big with those guys, specifically because theyā€™re trying to be noticed and look classy. Thatā€™s why itā€™s called ā€œpeacocking.ā€ Iā€™m sure waistcoats, cufflinks, and power ties are also over-represented among PUA types. But we canā€™t let these douchebags co-opt and corrupt the entire concept of classy, sophisticated menā€™s wear. I donā€™t want to live in a world where itā€™s understood that liberal feminist men only wear T-shirts and jeans.

Or to put in another way, I am going to continue wearing my fedora with a snazzy tie and dress shirt, while being a staunch feminist and a fan of social justice, because fedoras are awesome and I will not let these miserable assholes take that away.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œdnebdal, post:76, topic:27350, full:trueā€]
Again, thereā€™s a very important difference between your natural hair color and your choice in unusual headwear.[/quote]

True of course, but it would still be considered bigoted or sexist if her hair wasnā€™t naturally blonde. Likewise, insinuating that a woman is promiscuous based on her choice of clothes would be totally unacceptable.

1 Like

Well, if you show up in a lace-top corset to a pub, you might not be promiscuous (and if you are, is that such a bad thing?) - but you will appear to desperately want attention, for which Iā€™ll judge you far more harshly, no matter your gender. :wink:

This I can agree with - and even if my first impression is tainted by others sharing your preference in hats, merely not being a jerk is enough to fix that quickly (and thus shift things a bit in the right direction).

Good, because itā€™s also my favorite Linux distribution, and I was worried Iā€™d have to switch to Debian or Trisquel.