How a safe lock works

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/19/how-a-safe-lock-works.html

4 Likes

What do they call that technology he uses to build the safe lock? It’s like manual 3D printing.

5 Likes

Too little too late for @beschizza .

14 Likes

Be very very careful if you buy these plans. They are a band saw project. You cannot use his files with a CNC router. And he’s kind of an asshole if you ask for any kind of help.

1 Like

I wonder how much more complicated the mechanism would be if the combination was changeable.

3 Likes

Screw it, I’ll buy a mechanical combination safe lock and be done with it (have a vintage one in my office right now). You can get new and used safe locks online for $50-$100.

2 Likes

Rob…

3 Likes

Getting past that- easy:

3 Likes

4 Likes

I was actually envisioning designing a safe unlocking mini-game similar to the lock picking mini-games you see in many video games these days. So seeing how this type of lock is put together is really helpful.

3 Likes

This laser cut kit looks like fun as well.

2 Likes

If you have a 3D printer, here is a printable model on Thingiverse based on the wood model.

2 Likes

Matthias Wandel is the perfect woodworking engineering nerd. His channel is chock full of charming ingenuity and low-flash production with a Canadian patina. Good stuff.

1 Like

I suppose that could be implemented with the “controller shake” function…

Related stories don’t include @beschizza’s safe? SAD!

3 Likes

Of course, the modern safe lock involves a microcontroller with Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, an internet connection, and a hard-coded login/password combo of “admin” and “admin”.

3 Likes

He literally says that at the end of the video.

Very cool nonetheless. I always love seeing what talented woodworkers can create.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.