How a 'Tornado Omelette' is cooked

Jerry Lee Lewis would approve this guys technique.

South Korean version of eggs benedict?

Chopsticks and a spurdle with a flattened face are how I do most of my cooking.

5 Likes

Funny thing?

The only people who have mocked my use of chopsticks have been white people acting like they’re something special for knowing how to use them while I fumble. It’s like Asian people recognize that it’s a) a learned skill and b) like you have said about cutlery, not a huge deal when used in an unorthodox manner, so long as you’re not being unsanitary.

9 Likes

Meanwhile, I find salad especially falls off my fork all the time

There is absolutely nothing better for caesar salad than chopsticks. Especially those damn croutons.

4 Likes

I am so damn hungry now.

2 Likes

Soooooo hungry now!

2 Likes

26 Likes

28 comments and no one has mentioned the fact they are putting a non-stick pan on a high output burner… that’s a hard pass from me.

And I’ll point out that I own and use a few non-stick pans, but never in a situation where I’m running the burner on high like during a saute. I will use one to make an omelet, which I typically cook on medium low.

9 Likes

I use two forks to eat bone in chicken. You do you, I’ll handle me. All those haters can fuck right off.

4 Likes

Not true, unfortunately.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128025826000033

2 Likes

My son has one pair he keeps on his desk, specifically designated for eating Takis.

4 Likes

Yes, little touches like seeing if (in tornado wrap omelet) the hot oil would like to aerosolize…nah? Ok… Then in the second one, they fry their finger…sure yeah…cooked…ok. Then there’s the gas usage that’s probably fine but looks wastey to me. Gonna make a gadget for the induction, heat pump oven, or rollable solar concentrator…

9 Likes

Street food =/= fast food

So what was the stewy mix added to both plates at the end? The first looked like some kind of mushroom stew. The second looked like creamed chip-beef.

1 Like

Oh, the magma omelette is exactly how my grandma used to make eggs. I miss her!!! :frowning: But this is lovely! I could eat these two things every day.

Dude! I really appreciated that post!

5 Likes

That puts the prevalence of salmonella in Japan and Korea at a small fraction of the US rate, though… compared to the US, they really don’t have a problem. These days Japan has a few thousand cases every year - the US has 1.3 million. Japan’s worst outbreaks in the '90s, that spurred more testing and resulted in less contamination now, resulted in about 1% of the deaths the US has every year. South Korea seems to always have had a vanishingly low rate of salmonella infections, so an increase doesn’t mean much.

So yeah, I’d feel a lot better about eating raw eggs in Japan (or Korea) than in the US. I might even try some of that chicken sashimi…

5 Likes

That’s true, and I wish the US would move away from the battery farming that makes it impossible to control such diseases.

Still, egg-based salmonella is apparently the #3 case of food-borne disease in Japan, so eating raw eggs is not entirely without concern.

2 Likes

Which probably means all their cases of food-borne disease are at pretty low rates, at least compared to the US. (But the US is kind of infamous among developed countries for how unsafe its food is, so…)

7 Likes