How big Greenland really is

Geenland is full of natural resources. Mostly the problem is they are under a bunch of ice. The ice won’t be a problem for much longer.

2 Likes

Unless we’ve misunderstood something fundamental it’s going to take at least several hundred years to melt. It’s a lot of ice. While you have that kind of large scale melting Greenland won’t be easy to live in with ice dams bursting causing sudden floodings, lots of icebergs around the coast etc. Even after the ice is gone you are going to have large earthquakes for a long time as the land adjusts to losing several kilometers of ice.

There may be some places that are winners from climate change, but not many.

1 Like

If anyone is going to work out a deal to buy to Greenland… I think Canada would have first dibs. (Fun fact, the vikings that discovered Greenland and Iceland named them so as to keep curious explorers heading to the island that wasn’t in fact green and lush…)

2 Likes

what foreign entity has first dibs to buy your state?

1 Like

Reposting from the previous thread. Trump’s worst nightmare:

15 Likes

also Greenland is icy and Iceland is green!

2 Likes

Not for long…

3 Likes

What is left when the ice has melted? A circular chain of icelands.

3 Likes

Yep, the “Mr. Burns effect” is totally apropos when talking about Trump. I was just thinking (as a result of a recent outrage) that he does things, on average, about once a week that would totally destroy the political career of anyone else (and have, in many cases). I know extreme partisanship is helping him, but there’s also never enough time to focus on any one thing, to get it through to low-information voters just what he did and how outrageous it is.

I don’t know how the country can recover from this.

3 Likes

there you go. I was gonna photoshop that if no one else did.

1 Like

I’m sure his plan is to rename it “Trumpland”, because since when does he like anything green?

2 Likes

Clearly that would be Denmark. But we’re holding out for a larger bottle of Schnapps .

1 Like

GAH - you touched Mexico! Now 45 probably won’t want it anymore…

3 Likes

China

Oh, you were being sarcastic

8 Likes

the crazy part is how nuts the media goes with anything stupid, anything that is literal clickbaity enough to post about trump

so boring that he lies every damn time he opens his mouth in public, can’t possibly just start every newscast with the lies from yesterday, that would be “dull” - from the PRESIDENT of the united states, lying, dozens of times every day

this was not only not his idea, it’s unfortunately a really smart idea, think about how insanely valuable greenland will be come 2050 due to climate change, it will be the only place with reasonable temperatures and few days above 90 degrees

the rich are just going to move up further in their skyscraper and crank the A/C and ignore the five digit annual power bills, what are the rest of us going to do, apply to immigrate to Canada? we’ll be treated exactly how we are treating those from central america

I’m a fan of Buckminster Fuller’s Dymaxion map:

7 Likes

COME BACK, TACOS!!!  

9 Likes

I was thinking that, in theory, his constant distractions could also work against him, by distracting from his accomplishments. Like when he was visiting hospitals after the shootings, he started tweeting political attacks and then got mad because the media were focusing on that, rather than giving him credit for visiting hospitals (where people didn’t want to see him). But it occurs to me it’s only because Trump never actually accomplishes anything that his distractions never really hurt him.

If he ever did anything good, he’d screw himself by immediately distracting from that, but since he’s just constant committing fuck-ups, it’s a pattern of behavior (not a strategy) that works for him. At his best, he (just barely) manages to do something that’s really the absolute bare minimum expected of the president - like visiting hospitals - that wouldn’t benefit him much if he didn’t distract from it.

2 Likes

Well, he has succeeded in energizing the left, even those to the left of corporate-funded Dems.

(I know that’s not the kind of success you meant.)

4 Likes

It’s true - those kinds of “accomplishments” he’s got lots of.

2 Likes