How coconut crabs may have absconded with Amelia Earhart's skeleton

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/24/how-coconut-crabs-may-have-abs.html

7 Likes

I doubt the crabs ate her plane, though, so hopefully one day someone will find that.

15 Likes

The Answer:

Remarkably, we’ve pretty much had the Earhart mystery solved ever since partial remains were found on an island… in 1940. That’s right, 70 years ago. Only four years after she vanished.

To be fair, half of the bones were carried away by giant crabs, and the rest have since been lost because nobody thought it was important or even curious that a skeleton should turn up on an island just southeast of where Amelia freaking Earhart was going. Neither did it strike a chord that the remains turned out to be those of a white woman with Earhart’s measurements, or that they were found alongside a pocket knife, a broken cosmetics jar, a piece of glass from an airplane windshield and the same exact type of navigational system Earhart had been using. It’s inconclusive, dammit !

30 Likes

Yeah, you go ask them for the bones back, not me!

28 Likes

Why would they dismiss male bones? There were two people on that plane.
Ms. Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan.

16 Likes

So I just got done reading “11 Things I Didn’t Know About Coconut Crabs” on Mental Floss and now this. And still, I don’t have an answer to the question: Are these things tasty?

6 Likes

They’re supposed to taste like coconut, so, no.

7 Likes

This brings up a question that I’ve always had; are humans who eat well seasoned food well seasoned themselves?

3 Likes

Unless they’ve been eating goats.

12 Likes

I want to know if the coconut crabs are good eats?

2 Likes

Goats are delicious.

6 Likes

I blame the coconut crabs for every evil thing, everyone.

5 Likes

Extra embarrassing social disease: pubic coconut crabs.

17 Likes

Why wouldn’t that be good? I’d give it a go. Probably hard to kill one of the suckers, tho. Might have to use a hand grenade or something.

5 Likes

So she exceeded the carrion limit for her flight?

Too soon?

31 Likes

To me, all crab (claw meat anyways) has a taste faintly redolent of brazil nuts. I’d try a coconut crab if I could score for one here in Brexitland.

5 Likes

The crabs on Nikumaroro are supposedly relentless. They are everywhere and will bite you if you are sleeping- assuming that you’re dead. Hopefully this is not where they spent their final days/ weeks/ months.

3 Likes

mmmm, aviatrix

8 Likes

Yes, but usually the large ones are really old

5 Likes

Depends on the season.

Rule #1 Don’t eat out of season cadavers.
Rule #2 Refer to rule #1 etc.

3 Likes