Sonar image may show Ameelia Earhart's missing plane

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/29/amelia-earhart-plane-found.html

3 Likes

Yeah, “may” is the important word there. For the record, this is what a Lockheed Model 10 Electra looks like.

So this very low-resolution sidescan sonar picture could show one, but it could very well be wishful thinking

25 Likes

‘We’ve found an object that appears to be an aircraft that generally fits the dimensions of a Lockheed Electra,’ is a long way from, ‘We’ve found Amelia Earhart’s plane.’

15 Likes

Yeah, in the Pacific Ocean that was the last resting place of hundreds of aircraft during World War II.

17 Likes

“Looks like” is all the “proof” some people seem to need.

8 Likes

Well, everyone needs a hobby, I guess. And as unlikely as success may be, at least this may be slightly more productive than all those folks who sunk their fortunes into that “money pit” on Oak Island looking for Captain Kidd’s treasure. If they share the data from their ocean floor mapping that could be useful for scientists.

Still, it would be nice if they searched for Malaysia Airlines flight 370 instead. If found that could at least bring some closure to many families. Pretty much everyone who knew Earhart is already dead, and we have a pretty good sense of what happened to her plane.

18 Likes

I dunno, looks kinda like Sasquatch to me.

13 Likes

Right, you’d think a quick measurement analysis would determine a match quickly.

4 Likes

You know, I buy it’s more likely than not the Earhart plane. With the confounding possibility that it is some other plane that crashed of far less notoriety.

7 Likes

“We showed this picture to our panel of experts, who were divided as to whether the sidescan sonar image showed Earhart’s lost Electra. When we showed it to Rep. Joel Kitchens, however, he confidently identified the image as an ultrasound of an early-term human fetus, and claimed that it constituted convincing proof of his contention that abortion isn’t healthcare.”

20 Likes

Are you saying that the Centauri didn’t send him to Earth as a diplomat for all aliens?

9 Likes

Still cool to find old planes. I’m curious what it turns out to be.

11 Likes

Oh, it was just a false alarm.

3 Likes

Was there ever any conclusion about whether the Nikumaroro bones were actually Earhart’s or not?

3 Likes
4 Likes

The Nosehart Plane?

I’m waiting for it to turn out that there are multiple, verifiable scenes of Ameelia’s last resting place.

4 Likes

Pretty sure that the aliens that abducted her are toying with us.

2 Likes

Possibly the same aliens that abducted Glenn Miller?

5 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2)
(Wait for it.)

4 Likes

\begin{Discovery channel announcer voice}
A sonar image that looks somewhat like a Templar cross? Or some sort of Stonemason symbol?

Found at the bottom of the ocean, where a Knights Templar ship or a Masonic ship may have sunk?

Could it be that Amelia Earhart stumbled upon a secret Templar and/or Mason stronghold and was killed because of it?
\end{Discovery channel announcer voice}

We’ll find out when Voyager reports back to Starfleet Command.

7 Likes