Sonar image may show Ameelia Earhart's missing plane

The aliens that abducted her also cloned her you see.

4 Likes

Time to send down a billionaire to check it out… I vote for Elon!

7 Likes

Are you nuts? The object in the image is 16,000 feet deep, which is about 4000 feet deeper than the Titanic. A single billionaire wouldn’t be up to such a monumental task. We’d need the combined forces of Musk, Bezos and Zuckerberg to take on such a heroic mission.

20 Likes

You’re absolutely correct, it’s almost foolproof that way! Although they will need the cognitive as well to help identify what is and what is not a plane, so let’s make sure Trump gets a seat as well.

8 Likes

That may depend on the migration patterns of coconut crabs.
(I know they are sort of harmless, but they still scare the crap out of me)

2 Likes

I heard carbon fiber is great hull material to use in submersibles for billionaires.

5 Likes

Ameelia?

3 Likes

Yes. See @euansmith 's post up thread.

2 Likes

Step 1: stir up interest. Step 2: ask for funding to continue the search.

3 Likes

An acquaintance who is writing a scholarly book about Earhart has been bombarded with “Did you see?” messages, to which she is responding with good grace (yes, she has seen the news story, no, she doesn’t think it’s Earhart’s aircraft). She points out that the sonar image suggests an aircraft – if it is an aircraft – with swept wings, which wouldn’t match the profile of the Electra.

It’s possible that the wings were damaged on impact with the water, and came to rest in a way that suggests a newer aircraft, but it seems unlikely.

I joked that it’s actually MH370. Personally, I suspect that if it’s ever localized, it will turn out to be a funny-shaped rock or a sonar artifact, and not an aircraft at all.

3 Likes

If anyone is passing through the Kansas City area it could be fun to visit Atchison, Kansas to see the world’s last remaining Lockheed Electra at the Amelia Earhart Museum. It’s identical to the one she flew.

IMG_4594

11 Likes

That’s a beauty.

4 Likes

It’s one of the last Lockheed Electra Model 10E planes (there’s another on display in the Museum of Flight in Seattle) but plenty of other models and variants of Lockheed Electras are still around and flying. I got to climb around in one at a local airshow. Beautiful planes!

2 Likes

at 16,000 ft that closer look is going to be very expensive.

3 Likes

Interesting. The Amelia Earhart museum website says theirs is the only remaining 10-E, but as you pointed out, that isn’t the case. Beautiful planes. I’m glad to hear there’s more than one left.

2 Likes

Obligs

(Or not?)

2 Likes

I thought about the swept wing thing as well, but decided not to include it in my critique above.

Sidescan sonar is by definition a 2D representation of a 3D object and I can think of several ways in which the wing appearing swept is an illusion brought on by a foreshortened perspective due to a low angle between probe and object.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.