How could there be two famous people named Wink Martindale?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/11/how-could-there-be-two-famous-people-named-wink-martindale.html

1 Like

The team itself was notorious, particularly because they were viewed as a traitorous departure of the Cleveland Browns from northeast Ohio. I’m not a sports fan, but even I couldn’t miss the outrage it caused.

3 Likes

The game show Wink is, as is unsurprising for an 87 year old rich and famous person from the 70’s, a huge, cranky Trumper…

But hey, he’s 87, and I’m not sick and it’s not a snow day, so Tic Tac Dough and The Joker’s Wild (joker, Joker, JOKER!!!) aren’t really on my radar anymore.

2 Likes

Why not, there were two musicians named “Englebert Humperdink”?

(OK, the modern one wasn’t born with that name, it’s a stage name taken from the original composer, but c’mon, it’s an even sillier name than Wink Martindale.)

6 Likes

One for each eye?

4 Likes

Beat me to it.

Ummmm…

1 Like

Well, I can’t watch CBS football coverage without always going “James Brown. . . ?”

2 Likes

I refer to them as The Professional American Football Franchise formerly known as the Cleveland Browns.

For a while, Kareem Abdul Jabbar was tearing up the field as a running back for the Dolphins. Now, we all know that Kareem was talented, but even so…

1 Like

And ‘Muhammad Ali’ is what a friend of mine once called " the ‘John Smith’ of the Muslim world."

2 Likes

As I recall, the game-show-host incarnation of Wink Martindale discusses this briefly in a recent episode of the Go Fact Yourself podcast.

The nostalgia of a 70’s latch key kid. [Takes a deep hit]…[Exhales] Nice.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.