How cute! Mommy and son arrested for helping to steal Nancy Pelosi's laptop during Jan 6 Capitol assault

Originally published at: How cute! Mommy and son arrested for helping to steal Nancy Pelosi's laptop during Jan 6 Capitol assault | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Bold defense there Cotton. “A guy bullied me into helping him commit treason while we were committing treason. I got a bit scared while bravely overthrowing the government.”

37 Likes

Oh, oh, I know this one… “If you didn’t want to do the time you shouldn’t have done the crime” or does that only apply to people of color convicted of petty crimes with a three strikes statue? I get so confused about that sometimes.

19 Likes

What does that mean? Did they not realize you can just unplug them?

21 Likes

:musical_note:
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Raffie
:musical_note:

18 Likes

tumblr_3adb9a0796272f68c8df022bb7f2b3fb_82f5efb1_500

17 Likes

They are from Watertown, New York, way upstate. I would like to point out one amazing detail from this case.

They said they were afraid to drive their car into Washington DC. This so is incredibly common upstate. Deep fear of cities. Many/ most people from upstate New York have never been to New York City for example.

Sure, you are going to try and overthrow the US government, but you are concerned about your car’s safety! Truly incredible.

24 Likes

Huh. I guess sometimes you can blame the mother.

17 Likes
13 Likes

I doubt most people from Upstate have never been to NYC. Many, maybe, but not most.

1 Like

This woman must be so proud to join the ranks of such historic criminal matriarchs as Kate Barker, Kath Pettingill and Ma Beagle.

7 Likes

Or perhaps Ma Fratelli?

5 Likes

In general, I’ve been on the fence about the focus on the tactics of Jan 6th vs the purpose. In short, the purpose of Jan 6th was corrupt and ridiculous, but I can imagine a purpose so noble that it’s worth gathering a mass of humans to enter a prohibited space to try to disrupt the turning of the wheels of government. I simply can’t imagine the real-world value of mob-stealing laptops and running around with sawed-off shotguns besides terrorizing people and creating havoc.

5 Likes

Maybe the lower few counties that are within the commuter ring, but I’d concur with @DrEddSchneider that most NY’ers outside of, say 90 miles haven’t been except for trips to the airport.

2 Likes

Perhaps counterintuitively, those noble causes are almost always supported by the non-violent who recognize that insurrection erodes the legitimacy of their cause. And they get actual results.

Edited for clarity.

13 Likes

A lot of them believe that they have discovered a loophole where if they shout the words “Admirality law” at a judge laws no longer apply to them and they will just be released because the courtroom has the wrong flag or something. So yeah there are probably a lot of things they don’t realize.

10 Likes

Lived in Binghamton, Syracuse for a couple decades, it would be surprising if folks in that area had never been to NYC. There’s not much transit, most people in Upstate have cars (trucks). NYC is known for sports, bars, restaurants, concerts, shopping, drugs, plays, museums, touristy stuff. Parking sucks, the driving sucks, compared to the rest of the state, though downstate typically has less snow, but you can park on the fringes and take the train in if driving/parking in the city freaks you out. We clearly just want to visit, not to live there.

1 Like

I don’t really think that these two were afraid of parking etc. Betting what they were really afraid of was people of color.

10 Likes

Either that or liberal cannibal mobs that live in pizza parlor basements.

9 Likes

Sure, but sooner or later you reach a point where you have to pick sides and commit. You have to be prepared to face the consequences whether you are successful or not. If you violently storm your legislature, then you should be prepared to either overthrow your government or literally die for it. Because they pulled that stunt in the US they get their days in court and are facing relatively modest prison sentences.

8 Likes