How Disney teaches kids to be suspicious

i will always prefer spencer gifts to thinkgeek or it’s spiritual successor, the random ads that bb staff ocassionally do and we complain about despite being loads more privacy respecting than traditional ad tracking. (though if a patreon w ad free tier were an option i’d sign up)

2 Likes

All Corps Are Bastards

10 Likes

Wouldn’t using little squares to get the book to exactly 1001 stickers be more difficult than just printing duplicate pages of the character stickers?

1 Like

Lets be honest here, my 2 (nearly 3) year old would still love them. It would buy me a few hours of peace (not all at once mind you) during some long car or plane trip. If they’re not too sticky he’d happily fix and peel just one of them for a couple minutes. Seems like a good deal to me.

6 Likes

Kids learn to be suspicious and some executives learn why it’s important to maintain oversight and some level of quality control when licensing out your trademarks.

3 Likes

This is one area of the world that has actively gotten way, way, worse in my life. Toy sections of stores were much more gender neutral in the early 70s, and I feel like they are getting more segregated and horrible by the minute.

2 Likes

I was too young to notice in the 70s, but by the 80s there was definitely “the pink aisle” in the toy store that was nothing but girl toys. Generally it seemed that girls would play with boy toys, but not the opposite.

7 Likes

Came here for BoingBoing Store hate. Am satisfied.

2 Likes

Tell that to my sister’s Hello Kitty, when the ZOIDS declared war.

8 Likes

Hey kid, do you want Thousand Island dressing?

Kid: How many are useless fucking squares?

6 Likes

When I was a kid, I wanted a EZBake oven, I had it on my “Wishbook” list…and I saw it in the place where Mom would hide Christmas gifts, but all the kids knew where that was. Dad made her take it back. because it was a girls toy and would make me gay. So I got GI Joe stuff instead.
I’m now married to a former…ah, inactive duty… Marine. 33 years next August.

28 Likes

I asked for one, too. My dad made me take it off my list for the exact same reason. Well, now I know how to bake in a real oven and I’ve been living with my boyfriend for 13 years. (Congratulations!)

19 Likes

It’s exactly as advertised, but still misleading.

2 Likes

How is a “Princess Boutique” “explicitly gender-neutral?” These words have meaning, you know.

Boys can chase their princess dreams just as girls can be knights. What I’m saying is that you won’t see anything on that site about “only girls can be princesses”. They’re very inclusive.

3 Likes

Stickers? I think they misspelled “suckers”.

1 Like

Hey, be cool now, I’m currently in a drizzle in a beautiful place you’ll never go (#boinglyfe) and as such wouldn’t be able to tell you that you’re wrong were it not for this vintage duckcloth raincoat that I’m wearing, which has just been waxed with bespoke waterproofing beeswax that everyday normal guys like me and you can afford to give a shit about. Phew, I just worked up a sweat posting that on my… some kind of exercise bike thing in front of a window overlooking the ocean. It’s hard, you know? Just one of the boys having a good ol’ convo; how you all doing?

5 Likes

One year olds take intense satisfaction from peeling individual stickers and placing them on nearby objects. Paper, furniture, pets. The one year olds I have observed doing this do not much care what the stickers portray.

Charitable interpretation: Disney is aware that quantity > quality here.

1 Like

I wasn’t alive yet in the 70s, but there is this well known Lego ad:

And yeah, the pink aisles are back in full force these days.

10 Likes

786 pixel mosaic or just…
letitgo
:wink:

1 Like