1 Like

If all chefs are gay, how do we keep making more of them? :wink:

6 Likes

You put a bun in the oven…duh.

14 Likes

*useful squares

a sticker book of 1001 squares and zero disney images would be much better tho

3 Likes

Ah, the old “100 magnets” trick. I fell for that one as a kid ordering the novelty items from the back of “Boy’s Life” magazine.

1 Like

That was my take on it when we went as a family and saw the makeover boutiques. It seemed more emphasizing tapping into the girls’ or boys’ fantasies than to anything else. Now, it could be argued that the girls were being tracked into stereotypical princess bullshit while the boys were being channeled into swashbuckling heroics. If that’s the takeaway, then I’d suggest not even going to Disney because the strong gender role typing is everywhere. If that feels offensive then definitely do not go there looking for neutrality. It isn’t there.

I did not witness ANY girls in hero makeovers or boys in princess makeovers. Or signage indicating any of this. Or an indication to the effect of neutrality. Nor did I see any enforcement one way or the other. I did not see any neutrality there. Not by a mile.

1 Like

I personally saw girls in “boy” pirate outfits and have a friend whose son got a ‘feminine’ makeup job; they don’t have signage explicitly saying “we are gender inclusive”, and I agree that 99% of visitors will choose a stereotypical makeover, but they’re quite happy to do so if asked. Disney’s own site I linked above includes photos of a girl in a knight outfit.

I looked at the site. There are eight princess-themed packages. Start at $74.95 and steps all the way up to $450.00. There are two knight-themed packages (at the very bottom), $19.95 and $79.95. Sure, boys or girls could sign up for any of these, but it seems to suggest that “dress-up” is a girl’s game. Which is a shame because there are probably about as many prince characters as there are princesses.

Absolutely; I’m not saying that the princess salon is a popular boy’s hangout spot; they only started offering the all-gender “knight” option recently. It’s a princess dress-up shop created for girls, who can also make boys into knights or princes. Right nearby there’s the Pirate League that’s super popular with boys who want to play dress-up like a swashbuckling pirate and get made up like Jack Sparrow. I’m happy to let kids be kids and have a chance to play out their fantasies, whatever they might be, and I’m glad they have those options.

1 Like

I was similarly not allowed to have a Fisher Price toy kitchen. Kicker: my dad used to own a pizzeria, and he, my grandpa, and my uncle all sold wholesale food and cooked all the time.

6 Likes

I’d like to hear from a parent of a trans kid who visited Disney and what their experience was like there with all the strong gender typing everywhere. Maybe kids are kids and get by however they need to adapt.

1 Like

I certainly understand the dangers of stereotyping, but I find the idea that the idea of play that many young girls and a few young boys enjoy is so toxic it should be destroyed fairly disturbing.

I have to wonder whether this denigration of entertainment that many girls seem to enjoy is a form of sexism in itself.

After all, I don’t think it’s asking too much to separate the truly toxic “you must conform to this stereotype” from “there are quite a number of people who conform to the stereotype”. I’m a nerd, and I happen to like stereotypical nerdy things. Should I feel ashamed that I like them? I don’t think so, even as I acknowledge that what I like is also used to gatekeep. Nor do I think that I have to justify my play by proving it has long-term redeeming characteristics.

2 Likes

i feel like a book that said “over 300 stickers” would have still been pretty exciting. no need to oversell here.

2 Likes

Completely agreed. I love that girls have an increasing number of non-stereotypical role models (watching little girls in Rey costumes wielding lightsabers, or feeling powerful in their Captain Marvel outfits, is terrific) but there’s honestly nothing wrong with girls wanting to feel pretty and beautiful and frilly in a princess outfit, either. I sort of think that if parents are so uncomfortable with their girls liking pink & sparkly “girl stuff” that they want to destroy it all, that says a lot about the parent, not the kid.

3 Likes

See, now this I can get behind. Teaches them something about how digital images are made, and some general ideas about art and vision (next up, Pointilist paintings).

If anything, the way this article was presented to us is a bit… charlatan-y.

Edit: It’s still shady to market the book as “1,001 stickers”.

Indeed: Disney sucks.

Came here to imply the same thing. Good on ya.

1 Like

Well no shit my opinion says something about me. Since we’re playing that game, what does it say about you that you are implicitly saying only girls would like pink & sparkly stuff “girl stuff”?

Well, no, I’m not. I mentioned girls liking that stuff, in the context of your original post about “girl stuff”, but I’ve had several posts in this thread alone about how great it is when boys aren’t forced into tough/sporty/manly play roles and feel free to be sparkly and pink and bright. Or want an EZ-Bake Oven for Christmas.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.