How do I convert a iPhone photo for BBbbs?

It there a quick way to change format for posting?

Do you need to? The BBS automagically strips the exif data so you don’t need to do anything. I just click the upload button and off it goes.

Photo from the street. It’s a Live Photo but automatically is just the reference jpeg for upload

I have a food blog here.
I am getting this error warning:

I have had that issue so it is not just you. However I cannot remember how I fixed it. Most of the time I have no problem whatsoever.

1 Like

Are they HEIC files (lots of iPhones now take images in that format - you need a HEIC to JPG converter. I think there may be an iPhone setting to make it take images as JPGs)

3 Likes

I don’t use an iPhone or iPad much but I do have them so I can help some freinds and family with their iStuff.

I ran into the same problem a few months ago.

This article gives some good tips on how to solve the problem.

6 Likes

Perhaps this might help?

CloudConvert is a lovely site for a variety of image, document/ebook, and video formats. It’s free (to a point), and while it does limit how many times one can use the site per day (up to 25 times), it’s not too restrictive. (I’ve rarely bumped up against that limit, and when I do, I just have to wait a day before using the site again.)

If you need to do any cropping or adjustments after converting, I recommend

[Edited for clarification.]

6 Likes

I had the same problem with flickr. Thanks, Apple’s propriety file format!

Yes - the default setting is HEIC but you can change it in the camera app to JPG for future photos.

I’ve used the File approach and it’s fairly straightforward. Still annoying that you have to though.

3 Likes

ezgif also has many image converters, a gif resizer, and can convert video to gif. I often use them.

3 Likes

Yet it does seem that, if HEIC is the (or “a”) new default format that iPhones want to use when you take and then upload an image, and cloud converters exist (so presumably the conversion isn’t proprietary) that the BBS could handle this itself.

How would that get in a feature request? @orenwolf ? @codinghorror ?

2 Likes