Does the BBS strip EXIF data?

I just uploaded a picture directly from my phone. Usually if I uploaded anything from my computer onto a public forum like this I would strip it of EXIF data first. Now I’m wondering whether the BBS does this when uploading and presumably downsampling the image?

4 Likes

I downloaded your picture of butter (I assumed that is the one you mean). There’s no metadata in the downloaded image other than size and color, so it looks like the EXIF data was removed when the file was copied to the discourse web server

8 Likes

Thanks for trying that out. Yeah, it was butter that was going to be my downfall.

(Honestly I wasn’t really worried, more interested. But you could have found out my home address from that since I obviously shot that in my kitchen and for various reasons I keep the GPS function of my camera app on)

4 Likes

Best practice to strip out what you don’t want to share before posting anyway.

Photoshop, GIMP, Windows Paint, etc…

2 Likes

ImageMagick on the command line

2 Likes

An ez Windows solution.

Like Windows, a Mac lets users remove photo metadata in a pretty straightforward fashion. Once again, here’s an easy list to guide you:

1. Open the photo using ‘Preview’
  2. Go to ‘Tools’ in your menu
  3. Select ‘Show Inspector’
  4. Select the (i) tab
  5. Click the ‘Exif’ tab and remove the data
1 Like

Well…

3 Likes

Yes, it does.

12 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation

4 Likes

Thank you for enabling that. That’s great.

4 Likes

You can strip EXIF data on your phone, there’s plenty of apps around that can help you with that.

This nifty guide for stripping EXIF data on any platform except Linux links to one for iOS and one for Android.

1 Like

Thanks for that

Yeah, now you can hide in your secret kitchen forever :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I mean anyone going through my posts can piece together what city I live in. I just don’t want the exact address broadcast.

1 Like
5 Likes

There’s also Image Scrubber which can be used offline, though i haven’t used it extensively so can’t attest to its reliability.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.