How do we mark the end of a decade?

It’s here, the end of a decade.

3 Likes

27tg8m

14 Likes

Since there is no year zero, when does a decade end?

2 Likes

Good question.

Quora says:

“With the sole exception of the very first decade (1-10 AD), western historians believe that every subsequent decade begins on a year ending in zero, e.g. 1920-29, because the year ending in zero is nevertheless a full year.”

5 Likes

If it was the Twentieth Century, we would mark every decade close with a two year lead-in of opinion pieces and widespread angst over what it meant for cultural identity.

Now? I think people will go “Huh?!?”, with a shrug when they see the number change on their phone (and for the record, I think that’s better…).

3 Likes

By getting shit-faced, same as we do every other year, obviously.

16 Likes

This year, there will be more optician jokes, obviously…

11 Likes

I see what you did there! Clearly.

10 Likes

With the exception of the first decade CE/BCE, there’s no reason not to group decades by the tens column. Otherwise you get situations like this:

A: I was born in the 1970s.
B: Which year?
A: 1980.

13 Likes
4 Likes

7e2158c943d807917211e3ee3747140fe04a156a

8 Likes

11 Likes

Barbara-Walters-2020

6 Likes

Hey, we’ll be able to get those wacky novelty glasses with eyeholes inside the zeroes again! (Not that they ever really gave up on making those, but it’s been kind of a stretch ever since 2010, amirite?)

6 Likes

With a party and a revolution.

spray%20paint%20guillotine

Probably better not to have them both at the same time.

12 Likes

bottle

5 Likes

Setting aside the diplomatic problems it’d cause…

It’d be pretty cool to see a really massive H-Bomb go off at a very high altitude. Maybe 20,000 km, or how about 150,000 km. Something big enough for the whole planet to see for a week.

3 Likes

How to mark it. Hmm. Let’s see.

dog_peeing_on_hydrant_150x150_ani

4 Likes
5 Likes

2el6o9

ETA:

5 Likes