How do you know the Earth isn't flat?

Cell phones work off cell-phone towers, therefore so does GPS; no “satellites” required. According to them.

4 Likes

I’m not responsible for their delusions, or conspiracy theories, about how GPS technology works.

4 Likes

Indeed you’re not; I’m just filling you in on the joys you’re missing by not having any flat-Earthers in this thread. :wink:

3 Likes

To make flat-Earthism work, I don’t think light can travel in a straight line. Nothing makes sense if it does. I’m not sure what kind of wiggly, arbitrary path it takes, but it can’t be straight.

It’s interesting to try to figure out convoluted explanations to allow things like flat-Earthism to be consistent with reality, but these people aren’t even trying. The Sun would not only have to be a spotlight, it would have to have a mask that shaped the light coming out. And not only would the Sun move during the course of the year, the shape of the mask would also have to change as well. (Even if light also travels on a curved path.) I suppose there’s also the small issue that the shape of and distance between the continents would be totally screwed up - and easily disproved by anyone who traveled anywhere, so anyone who sails or travels via airplane would have to be part of the same conspiracy to which all astronomers, geographers, telecommunications experts, etc. belong.

9 Likes

Simple. If the earth were flat, cats would have knocked everything off it by now.

42 Likes

I know the Earth is round because Katamari Damacy told me so.

6 Likes

22 Likes

I proved to myself the Earth isn’t flat when in art school I built an accurate sundial.

Try it and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

9 Likes

Simple empirical observation: go to the beach, wait for a ship to come in. Masthead appears before hull; ergo, the ocean is not flat.

Every ancient Greek fisherman noticed that; it wasn"t some arcane piece of advanced philosophy. Flat-eartherism is modern idiocy.

20 Likes

"Why are you looking at me, for that?

20 Likes

People who weren’t even clever enough to invent indoor plumbing or ocean worthy ships know more than modern flat-earthers.

6 Likes

How do you know the Earth isn’t flat?

Because if it WAS flat, cats would have knocked everything off the edge by now.

(Old joke.)

4 Likes

Damn you! Got to it before me!!

Damn you. Damn me!

11 Likes

Is this where all the Barnum and Bailey Circus elephants ended up, because it’s definitely an improvement, I must say.

2 Likes

How can these folks tell that the Earth is actually flat when their eyes are actually a large sphere that can see behind itself?

1 Like

Say that again!

3 Likes

How does satellite television work?

3 Likes

By hook or by crook?

Great point. If you have ever met radio engineers, you would know that if it worked to stand up a mile high antenna to talk to the entire globe, we would have hundreds of thousands of them.

6 Likes

Final Fantasy taught me that all planets are tori.

3 Likes