How do you know the Earth isn't flat?

Those nice astronauts sent us back some pictures when they went to the moon. Did everyone not get those? And iirc Carl Sagan splained this to us, too. Did folks not get that transmission, either?

I’m joking there, somewhat, but geez, folks, use those healthy authority-questioning powers for the good stuff.

8 Likes

ISWYDT…

7 Likes

My very large cat tells me I’ve said too much already.

8 Likes

Oh, this is a favourite. They will, early in thread, tell us that all pictures from NASA are fake; then later on ask for a “real” picture. If you post a link to a real picture, they will say that it is CGI, thus proving their assertion that all NASA pictures are fake (I know, I know).

If you have the foresight to provide, say, a picture from a JAXA weather satellite updated every ten minutes, then they will say that the Japanese agency is a subsidiary of NASA, and that they have very advanced computer technology which is capable of generating a fake picture of the Earth every ten minutes.

9 Likes

Oh noes! Get the giant laser pointer to distract him!

11 Likes

You need to reply to your own post a few dozen times so that I can “like” each post until you get all the likes you deserve for this post.

7 Likes

you’ve forgotten there’s a conspiracy of compasses that make it seem like you’re traveling straight north to south, but they are really causing you to turn.

but, you forget that the atmosphere causes light rays to bend. it curves them away so it only seems like they are going over the edge of the horizon.

still trying to figure out how the whole sun thing works though.

2 Likes

Because it is easily measurable. Given clear visibility and low seas, the range at which an object becomes visible can be accurately predicted given the height of the object and the height of the observer. You don’t need to go into space or anything complicated like that.
But I really suspect the flat earth thing is just a random thing to construct logical arguments around.

1 Like

I recently met one of these weirdos in meat space; and the minute he started talking about the curvature of the earth being a government conspiracy, my ‘internal alarm bells’ started going berserk.

(His “theory” was that the surface area is infinite.)

4 Likes

6 Likes

I found mr collins moon hoax not the evolution of my debate into hell and how people hurt people for no reason but I will be dammed

The shape really doesn’t matter…since everything is just a hologram! -)

TQQdles™

4 Likes

Moebius F-ing planet!

2 Likes

I have my own batshit crazy theory about “flat-earthers”. I’ve spoken with some of them and asked them simply “what happened to make you believe this?”… Guess what? no answers beyond “well, I just saw this youtube video once”, or “I saw this post on Facebook”. So, my batshit theory about “flat-earthers” is that they are trolls who don’t actually believe the earth is flat, they just like to troll people into thinking they do.

Further proof: when you ask a flat-earther basic science questions, like “how does an eclipse work?”, or “how does the sun move across the sky?”, they make that shit up on the spot.

2 Likes

That used to be my opinion too, but now I’m not sure anymore.

4 Likes

The problem with believing that the Earth is flat is not the belief itself but the unwillingness to change one’s opinion when presented with both evidence and logical argument.

4 Likes

Where did the picture come from? And are there more?

1 Like

There was a fifth elephant, but it fell off the turtle and crashed into the earth.

10 Likes

One of the BBC discworld films, probably Hogfather:

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/TV_and_film_adaptations

You can find the gifs just by doing a search on google images or from like giphy.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

I had totally forgotten that book! I should go back and read them all again. My daughter was doing that (reading all the Pratchetts), but got distracted by Deborah Harkness’ All Souls Trilogy.

3 Likes