How dolls were made in 1968

Originally published at: How dolls were made in 1968 | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Lol… I had that Dr. Doolittle doll.

5 Likes
2 Likes

The scariest part of this video is the person painting with no respirator - presumably every day for years. Yikes.

4 Likes

I worked at Mattel designing toys and spent some time at the factory in SoCal. (These are all Mattel dolls) I remember the same manufacturing steps there. If you think the spray painting was hazardous, imagine cleaning those paint masks later with big open tubs of MEK solvent— yikes!

6 Likes

Me too!!!

1 Like
3 Likes

Wow, those dolls in the first scene are walking way better than Musk’s Optimus robot does today…way back in the '60s!

2 Likes

Electrical/Electronics techs at my first employer worked with it; each of their workstations included a bottle of MEK for ready use. It was their go-to cleaner, squirting the stuff on whatever that needed to be prepared. I don’t know how its use affected them, but I can say that the entire group of eight techs were an irritable and easily ticked-off lot.

2 Likes

I find this is just as likely to be the result of being a technician whose job is to work on something designed by an engineer who had never done time as a technician.

4 Likes

Running for union rep, I see. :laughing:

3 Likes

The production process doesn’t seem to have changed much, aside from moving to countries with lower labour costs.

(ETA: The paint is non-toxic.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.