How England's most famous steeplejack brought down a chimney without a single explosive (video)

Originally published at: How England's most famous steeplejack brought down a chimney without a single explosive (video) | Boing Boing

12 Likes

I bet he would have come in handy during a castle siege back in the day.

13 Likes

That’s the kind of post I come here for! Thanks, Mark!

A very elegant solution, and even with that tire fire it was reasonably environmentally responsible.

15 Likes

The entire series about Fred Dibnah is suprisingly engaging . It is well worth watching or at least playing in the background while you work on your hobby, project etc…

19 Likes

You don’t need anything. Only a sledgehammer and bit of lunacy, like, and you’re in business.

Indeed.

15 Likes

This guy is really interesting! I’ve ran across him before… There is a DVD you can get, but it’s whatever the British region is…

11 Likes

I caught the first bit of this in a post from the BBC on Facebook. His accent is incredible to listen to.

Also great quote:
“I’ve never fell off a big chimmney. You only fall off one of them once.”

12 Likes

Damn! That’s interesting, impressive, and more than a bit scary.

And like @Medievalist , I looked at those old tires and dubious-looking wood, and thought “This wouldn’t pass today…”

10 Likes

I posted this a while back but it’s worth another airing…

Now, i’ve done a fair bit of rock climbing but… NO.

12 Likes

I saw the start of this doc here years ago and didn’t connect. I remember when I was younger I’d see stuff like “Fred Dibnah’s Age of Steam” on the schedule and think it sounded really dull “Oo the fook does eee think ee is?” I probably thought. Now I could listen to that voice talking industrial heritage for hours. Sorry ghost of Fred and my judgy younger self but that is my jam that is.

And @Mindysan33 aside from the very odd Sony you can look up the model of a dvd player and region free hack and Easter egg and get the remote control sequence to make them region 0.

Sony can be dicks though. Computers less easy than standalone a but DVD/BluRays are available on your local freecycle chat or thrift shop.

12 Likes

Also worth a look are the exploits of BBC Children’s TV presenter
John Noakes who also did a bit of climbing…Up Nelson’s Column

I can’t yet link here, but search on youtube for ‘JOHN NOAKES scaling Nelson’s Column’

12 Likes

John Noakes must have been crazy - as you say, climbing Nelson’s Column (twice, the first time the camera didn’t work); doing the Cresta Run; setting a free-fall record for a civilian - Mondays and Fridays BBC1 at 17:10.

The original superhero team - Noakes, Purves, Judd and Singleton.

7 Likes

What a great piece of documentary!

There is something incredibly poignant about that huge structure, a physical manifestation of industrial might, standing lonely in a brown field, and brought down by the very fires it was built originally to serve by venting.

11 Likes

Air Strip One

@pencotts “GET DOWN, SHEP!”

4 Likes

A bit of white cordon and a honk of the horn - the area is secure. But moments after the collapse, please feel free to come back and frolic!

4 Likes

Such a great documentary. Cannot reccomend enough.

3 Likes

Fred Dibnah was every where on tv when i where a lad, such a loss, they just dont make them like they used to. If your not from the uk, and interested in both engineering / steam with a look in to social side of the uk (by inference, thou i suppose that’s easier to read if you are from the uk, under stand are stupid class system innate.) any thing hes in is well worth a watch!

6 Likes

Liked for the use of “thou”. I tell thee I like it I do.

1 Like

The good people at Cinefile Video in LA sell a region-free player.

1 Like

This is odd (the DVD regions, I mean). Because thanks to some dinky little islands, the Sun technically still doesn’t set on the British empire.

2 Likes