How exactly did Dubstep die

To an extent.

Dubstep has its rootd in Carribean Dub and Dancehall music, as well as DnB and Jungle.

I’d say it’s more like a craft industry in the UK that got destroyed by commercial exploitation and oversaturation.

2 Likes

And today, Disco is back again stronger than ever.

It’s just called Italo

2 Likes

It didn’t die, it metastasized into hundreds of sub-genera, all of which now deny their heritage. Some I like, some grate on my eardrums, most are meh, but to call it dead seems premature.

2 Likes

This is the normal cycle with EDM genres.

I saw house morph into hardcore morph into dubstep morph into futurebass.

I watched industrial morph into light industrial/electronic metal morph into vaporwave

3 Likes

This. I began thinking this about dance music back in the 90’s, a lot of the genres are only minimally different than each other. This is illustrated on discogs – a lot of releases will be several genres at once-- “speedcore, breakcore, gabber, noise, experimental.” It’s like a selling point to make people think it’s “all new” when it’s just a variation on the same thing. “We got a new sound, it’s called fartcore!”

Is this dubstep? Not exactly, but there are enough similarities, and yet it’s from 1999 and from the US.

1 Like

There’s always such a difference of perspective between people who go to shows and the ones who only listen to the music by themselves at home or in their car. There’s changes happening in trends based on crowd reactions and crowd sizes and collaborations of artists who met on the scene, and there’s people like me who notice two years later that something changed but I don’t realize what it is until someone points it out online.

3 Likes

Neither of those are dead, they’ve both just dropped back into their niche audience (though D&B still sells out pretty big venues here in the UK)…

I’m still a big jungle head, and there are multiple labels still putting out brand new stuff:

loads more out there.

4 Likes

Ooohh… we’re doing Soundcloud links now?

This!

But if it can’t be turned into elevator music, is it really music?

2 Likes

Not with a bang but a wubwub.

13 Likes

I am definitely one of the olds now, so best to take this with a grain of :salt:, but a lot of modern music has a certain … sameness to it?

Grandpa logic indeed. I gotta say Autotune was a massive inflection point for music, where heavy vocal processing became the norm. Thanks, Cher! Now everything feels auto-tuned, all the time?

(There’s still plenty of great new music being created out there… an infinity of it, actually.)

1 Like

You want angry, then gabber and hardstyle is where it’s at.

Generally I like them for their extremity. I want every kick to sound like it’s clipping in my ears, and I want it to be so fast my legs tear themselves apart while I dance.

3 Likes

To be fair, my legs start to tear themselves apart at a moderately quick waltz.

4 Likes

giphy (18)

6 Likes

oh yeah, you’re right – those are even angrier to my ears. it’s a range!

1 Like

How exactly did dubstep die?
Not quickly enough!

1 Like

Honestly really enjoy using hardstyle as work and study music.

Very simple and clear beat at a speed that helps keep me from getting distracted.

(it was a joke, my friend)

1 Like

I find amencore pretty angry also, and gabber + amencore always remind me of Dj Scud’s opening set for Aphex Twin many years ago in Bologna, intense stuff.

1 Like

Will they have a dubstep museum?

1 Like