TV game show host unintentionally delivers the perfect EDM sample opportunity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/11/tv-game-show-host-unintentionally-delivers-the-perfect-edm-sample-opportunity.html

7 Likes

Ah, bebop.

4 Likes

EDM? sorry we cant except that. we need jungle…

10 Likes

host Amol Rajan delivered the makings of a perfect spoken word sample for countless EDM tracks to come.

hmm… i think i’d opt for “easy damn money”

Electronic Document Management
 Electronic Dance Music
 Engineering Data Management
 Early Day Motion
 Enterprise Data Model
 Electric Discharge Machines
 Engineering Development Model
 Enterprise Desktop Manager
 Electronic Delivery Mechanism
 Electronic Direct Mail
 Engineering Design And Manufacturing
 Electronic Document Manager
 Electromagnetic Distance Measurement
 Electronic Drawing Management
 Electronic Design Machining
 Easy Damn Money
 Event Driven Model
 Electric Drive Module
 Esoteric Dance Music
3 Likes

I had a DJ friend try to educate me once on the difference between drum and bass, jungle and… whatever else they were called. I couldn’t for the life of me discern any substantial difference (except House has vocals, I guess?).

9 Likes

Jungle briefly preceded DnB, but to my ears it sounds basically the same. I remember early on jungle still had dancehall vocalists, but DnB tended to be more instrumental-focused, vocals were sample snippets (or hip hop tracks remixed DnB style).

I’m no expert (and I’m sure an expert will appear here shortly to school us all) but some genres of EDM sound more-or-less the same to me, often the difference is defined by little more than a relatively small change in BPM.

It’s kind of like when a metal-head tries to explain the difference between sludge metal and doom metal, or deathgrind and goregrind.

“No, listen he’s using the pig squeal vocals, not the cookie monster vocals.”

11 Likes

I always thought that Helter Skelter by the Beatles was one of the origins of metal, but now I realize John’s solo career was another:

It is like any music with subgenres, you really have to get into it to discern some of the differences. I remember in HS thinking all Heavy Metal and even Classic Rock sounded the same. :confused: I still feel that way with Death Metal.

I felt like all of the examples were more Drum and Bass than Jungle, I thought Jungle had more reggae samples, but was told it was more of BPM thing, so I dunno. I don’t stress too much because even people who do know argue over what is or isn’t properly labeled.

But hey, I am all here for the remixes. Even though I am more of a Big Beat or Techno/Rave Electronica fan, I like some of both Drum and Bass and Jungle.

6 Likes

Jungle and D&B are related, jungle is about 2 things, breaks (as the rise of jungle was due to the commodore amiga bringing a tracking DAW to the people) often quite chopped up and modified, and big rolling basslines. The basslines stuck through into D&B, but the breaks ended up being simplified and more structured.

TBF, I don’t think the difference is huge, but it’s far more apparent if you’re interested in the music :slight_smile:

Sample wise, jungle did use some dancehall, ragga, reggae samples, but they also loved movie samples, horror, action, documentary…

Horror (and a bit of toasting)

A sample from a film called Rockers (about reggae)

One I like lots, has great pads, great breaks and bassline, and a great singer.

10 Likes

Man a LOT of early techno and dance music did, and I miss it. I loved figuring out where samples came from, it was like a little secret between me and the artist.

It still happens when I watch a movie and hear a familiar voice or clip, or some times even a song used in the movie that gets sampled.

7 Likes

Also Goldie and a Guy Called Gerald would not be who I would use as examples of pure “jungle” (which is essentially an earlier name for what was often later called drum and bass and all are breakbeat which has so many subgenres over the years. Breakbeat kind of died off as a monster genre with multiple sub genres in the early ‘00s when even the Eastern European record plants the producers used started running the files through copyright detection. Killed it stone dead as how could you prove whatever random attribution they gave to a sample was okay? The software just picked something popular that used it) so I’m with the contestant rather than the quizmaster on this one.

Fuck “AI”.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get this. I pick up random DnB 12-inches whenever I see them cheap and most of the time I’m pleasantly surprised, but I listen to so much music I can’t get too deep into any one scene.

Several years ago someone dumped a gigantic collection of water-damaged EDM singles at the local thrift outlet, mostly trance/related stuff, and this older guy was looking at it as I was sifting through it. “What is this music?” I tell him it’s dance music, and he says “What, you mean like. . . disco?”

2 Likes

Fucking voodoo magic, man! :fire:

1 Like

In the Goa/Pystrance scene it was much easier to know where the sample was from, because it was almost always Terrence McKenna.

Pretty sure a little (Cowboy) Bebop shows up in one of these:

1 Like

Musical genres are fertile grounds for arguments, but fortunately, when it comes to electronic music, one person has listened to all of it and pinpointed what genre is which. Ladies, gentlemen, and mutants, may I present the solution to any “no it’s experimental techno, not hard techno” arguments:
https://music.ishkur.com/

You can argue about Ishkur’s definitions, but until you obsessively catalogue all electronic music, I’ll assume you’ve not done your research.

1 Like

3 Likes

The hardcore section is a mess, because a lot of it came from the Netherlands and they have a dislike of all things Dutch.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.