How exactly did Dubstep die

Originally published at: How exactly did Dubstep die | Boing Boing

5 Likes

i hadn’t heard it was dead, but if it is, it’s probably because it’s largely terrible.

10 Likes

But it brought us these

8 Likes
14 Likes

I always thought it sounded like a robot having diarrhea so I won’t miss it.

5 Likes

It went the way of Jungle and Drum-and-Bass, both of which died at the hands of Dubstep itself.

5 Likes

Dubstep didn’t die, it grew up. Like all music genres do. Early dubstep was innovative and took extreme technical skill to perform. Then the tools to make it easy evolved so it was suddenly everywhere. People burned out on the style but the elements have been incorporated into pretty much everything.

11 Likes

But Deadpool said dubstep never dies.

Drawing Deadpool GIF

10 Likes

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Two Beans - Beep Boop Beep (Video Games) - 21 Feb 11

1 Like

You know, as someone who likes Electronica in general, most specifically Industrial EDM and UK Big Beat, I never really liked dubstep. There were a handful of songs I heard that I liked, but something about it never clicked.

5 Likes

andy richter GIF by Team Coco

7 Likes

Crushed under the weight of expectations and diluted by popular adoption, like most Next Big Things?

4 Likes

Oldskool dubstep is a completely different animal from the skrillex early 2010s stuff.

One of my favorite tracks is Rutten by Skream

13 Likes

Well that was pleasant, I liked that. It seems the wub wub sound was an element, not the primary “instrument”. And the more traditional loops and beats. Very nice.

3 Likes

yeah, exactly. i mean, i like some dubstep, but mostly it leaves me cold. my line about it is, i’m just not that angry. it’s the same reason i don’t listen to metal all the time. gimme Big Beat or House, and that’s more my wheelhouse.

2 Likes

That first video was amazing, and I especially like that I appreciate so much more of it after watching the OP video.

2 Likes

I don’t think any of these styles really die, they just morph into some other style. All the people who said disco was dead back in the early 80’s didn’t realize it just lost popular mass appeal, but the original underground disco scene was still around and became the house music scene. And drum-and-bass is still pretty big in some cities, Berlin for example.

8 Likes

This album is great. Vex’d had some good stuff too, as well as Benga, Cyrus and a few others. It seemed like one of those genres that had already mutated into something else by the time people like Skillrex jumped in, so I never bothered with them

2 Likes

TLDW; This is probably just another case of music created by Black folks being appropriated and ruined by white folks, right?

2 Likes

Try Benga’s “Diary of an afro warrior” It’s my go to album for people that only associate dubstep with Skrillex

2 Likes