How Frasier afforded his fancy Seattle apartment

My headcanon is that he’s actually being funded by Niles, to the point where Niles doesn’t even bother tallying the debt.

(Niles is actually a far more absurd and impossible character: a thirty year old ish psychiatrist with a renowned jungian practice and teaching credentials and whatnot.)

8 Likes

It usually takes 12 years to become a practicing psychiatrist: four each for BA, MD and psych residency. Frasier would have been at least 30 before he established private practice, assuming he went right to it from residency. And Frasier is a psychoanalyst, supposedly another few years … but who is counting?

5 Likes

In retrospect that time Lilith coerced Riker to have sex with her in exchange for helping him escape (“I’ve always wanted to make love with an alien…”) was more creepy and exploitative than funny.

On the other hand we never actually see Riker go through with the deed, so it’s plausible that he just convinced her that humans make love by playing patty-cake.

12 Likes

I legit assumed he was dealing coke on the side.

5 Likes

Well it’s canon that he already was a practicing psychiatrist by the time he first appeared in Cheers in 1984 so maybe he was just a real go-getter who started early.

11 Likes

Like Doogie Houser?

9 Likes

Babylon 5 did this trope amazing justice with the Ivanova dance.

9 Likes

They could do an episide in the new series guest starring Neil Patrick Harris, whom Frasier is quietly sneering furious at for taking his crown as the youngest MD out of Oxford

11 Likes

Frasier was a spin-off of Cheers, which had a cross-over episode with St. Elsewhere, which (as revealed in the final episode), takes place in the imagination of Tommy Westphall. Therefore, Frasier Crane, being just a character in Tommy’s mind, can easily afford the condo.

18 Likes

So you’re saying that Frasier is living in Tommy’s head rent-free?

12 Likes

If I remember correctly, Frasier was an MD/PhD, which requires six years after a Bachelor’s if you’re crazy ambitious. Plus the time needed to go through residency and go into private practice, which would put him in his early thirties by the time he started his practice. I believe he was doing his residency when he met Diane, which was in one of the earlier seasons of Cheers, so at any rate he had only been in private practice less than a decade.

A better question is, how would a relatively young psychiatrist in Boston get a gig as on air talent in Seattle? That would be quite the trick even if he were famous.

He was supposedly an over the top genius, so let’s assume he earned his terminal degree at 22 to 24. He’s out of residency in his late 20s, then he went right out got himself some rich clients.

That’s what I assumed all along. He specializes in diseases of the rich.

And it was from there that he got his older brother Frasier into coke dealing.

14 Likes

First, none of you were watching! Eddie was making bank.

Fraiser’s whole reason for existence was to be what Sam was not, right? Stable, educated and cultured. I thought Fraiser ran a brilliant and super successful practice? homeownership would match with his opera subscriptions, museum memberships, and the other trappings of culture and success that Diane felt she wanted when who/what she truly loved was Sam?

Perhaps he needed a larger and grander space to share with his retired father in Seattle, but selling a home in Boston for a Seattle one – even townhome to townhome – should work out. I get that Seattle is awful tony for a mining and lumber town, but Boston is OK.

It also seems he moved to Seattle for this radio job and was some sort of celebrity akin to a Rick Dees? I am sure Rick Dee’s was making more than $27k a year. It is unreasonable to think that just because a local Ford salesperson got paid only on a commission that Dick Butkus did too.

7 Likes

Yep. And that’s why we hated Frasier and loved Sam.

Although John Lithgow could have been a better Frasier had he not turned it down.

6 Likes

Frasier’s dad, Martin Crane married into old money. They met at a crime scene she accidentally wandered by. He baked cookies to commemorate the event in the shape of chalk body outlines.

Frasier: I thought those were people dancing!!

13 Likes

When Babylon 5 turned on the silly, especially with Claudia Christian, they turned it way up!

8 Likes

It probably wasn’t until after his divorce from Maris (and flushing out her family secret) that Niles had a lot of money, though. I’m leading toward a combination of inheritance from their mother, and pension from their father.

7 Likes

The obvious explanation is that their dad was a crooked cop and and got a big payoff from someone when he retired.

8 Likes

I just assumed that the apartment had been the scene of a gruesome murder or three. Same with Friends.

4 Likes

I think gruesome murders would have struck a little too close to home for Kelsey Grammer.

7 Likes

I see what you did there

4 Likes