How good is YOUR state?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

1 Like

Nice job, Rick Perry and Greg Abbott

6 Likes

Michigan at 33 proving once again that itā€™s really a slice of the deep south glommed onto the northern tier.

9 Likes

My home state of Illinois is below the mean, at #29. This is genuinely surprising to me.

Meanwhile, Indiana, which was a wasteland when I lived there, was ranked #22 :confused:

2 Likes

If Washingtonā€™s infrastructure is at #2, Iā€™m scared for the rest of the country.

14 Likes

I canā€™t fucking believe it. I damn near fell out of my chair when I read that. #2? Are you kidding me?

We have terrible public transport, 1 major airport, permanently delayed rail projects, awful traffic, a history of bridges that canā€™t seem to stay upright, and never ending road construction.

That just has to be a mistake.

11 Likes

Thatā€™s objectively wrong. Thereā€™s no way NC is in the top 50% even by the skin of its teeth.

3 Likes

The best.
My state is the best.

Says so right at the top of this article.

3 Likes

Congratulations, Mississippi! You beat the spread!

16 Likes

Itā€™s still a wasteland. This list is composed of lies. Iā€™ve lived in Iowa, itā€™s only a great place to live if you really like being bored. At least in North Dakota, you can go Curling.

5 Likes

If Iā€™ve learned nothing else from these lists, and I havenā€™t, itā€™s that ā€œgreat places to liveā€ = ā€œplaces where white people can feel safeā€

5 Likes

I dunno, I think white people can feel safe in any of the bottom-rung ā€œredā€ states, too.

2 Likes

I wonder how Puerto Rico feels about never getting included on these lists. I have to imagine that life on a lush tropical island territory must be at least marginally more interesting than the rural midwest.

2 Likes

Hawaii is #27. Itā€™s no Indiana.

4 Likes

Well sure, but we donā€™t like to think of ourselves living in the same conditions as the Poor White Trash ā„¢.

Galloping Gurdy was a test bridge, not a real one!

2 Likes

Oregon, #1 in infrastructure. This confirms my hypothesis:

• There is an inverse proportion of quality of infrastructure and quality of drivers
3 Likes

Even Oregonians (Oregonos?) think Oregonians canā€™t drive?

3 Likes

Oh god yes. Itā€™s like every Oregon driver on the road is stuck in a permanent video game training mission, and they never advance.

6 Likes

Fucking A. Not that WA drivers are that great but Oregon drivers always get a wide berth from me.

@japhroaig we have a top 5 list of most memorable bridge collapses!

http://archive.seattleweekly.com/home/947046-129/bridge-collapse-washington-huff-mcnair-river

3 Likes